Date:   Thu, 20 May 2021 13:14:43 -0700
From:   Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>
To:     John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>
Cc:     Linux Kernel Network Developers <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        bpf <bpf@...r.kernel.org>, Cong Wang <cong.wang@...edance.com>,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        Jakub Sitnicki <jakub@...udflare.com>,
        Lorenz Bauer <lmb@...udflare.com>
Subject: Re: [Patch bpf] udp: fix a memory leak in udp_read_sock()

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 10:43 AM John Fastabend
<john.fastabend@...il.com> wrote:

> Cong Wang wrote:

> > > OK I am at least convinced now that dropping packets is OK and likely
> > > a useful performance/complexity compromise.
> > >
> > > But, at this point we wont have any visibility into these drops correct?
> > > Looks like the pattern in UDP stack to handle this is to increment
> > > sk_drops and UDP_MIB_INERRORS. How about we do that here as well?
> >
> > We are not dropping the packet, the packet is cloned and deliver to
> > user-space via sk_psock_verdict_recv(), thus, we are simply leaking
> > the original skb, regardless of any error. Maybe udp_read_sock()
> > should check desc->error, but it has nothing to do with this path which
> > only aims to address a memory leak. A separate patch is need to check
> > desc->error, if really needed.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> "We are not dropping the packet" you'll need to be more explicit on
> how this path is not dropping the skb,

You know it is cloned, don't you? So if we clone an skb and deliver
the clone then free the original, what is dropped here? Absolutely
nothing.

By "drop", we clearly mean nothing is delivered. Or do you have
any different definition of "drop"?

>   udp_read_sock()
>     skb = skb_recv_udp()
>      __skb_recv_udp()
>        __skb_try_recv_from_queue()
>         __skb_unlink()              // skb is off the queue
>     used = recv_actor()
>       sk_psock_verdict_recv()

Why do you intentionally ignore the fact the skb is cloned
and the clone is delivered??

>         return 0;
>     if (used <= 0) {
>       kfree(skb)         // skb is unlink'd and kfree'd

Why do you ignore the other kfree_skb() I added in this patch?
Which is clearly on the non-error path. This is why I said the
skb needs to be freed _regardless_ of error or not. You just
keep ignoring it.

>       break;
>     return 0
>
> So if in the error case the skb is unlink'd from the queue and
> kfree'd where is it still existing, how do we get it back? It
> sure looks dropped to me. Yes, the kfree() is needed to not
> leak it, but I'm saying we don't want to drop packets silently.

See above, you clearly ignored the other kfree_skb() which is
on non-error path.

Sure, let me quote what I already said:
" A separate patch is need to check desc->error, if really needed."

This patch, as its subject tells, aims to address a memory leak, not
to address error counters. BTW, TCP does not increase error
counters either, yet another reason it deserves a separate patch
to address both.

Thanks.