Date:   Sun, 29 Aug 2021 15:19:53 +0530
From:   Gokul Sivakumar <gokulkumar792@...il.com>
To:     Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...workplumber.org>,
        David Ahern <dsahern@...nel.org>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: [iproute2] concern regarding the color option usage in "bridge" &
 "tc" cmd

Hi Stephen, David,

Recently I have added a commit 82149efee9 ("bridge: reorder cmd line arg parsing
to let "-c" detected as "color" option") in iproute2 tree bridge.c which aligns
the behaviour of the "bridge" cmd with the "bridge" man page description w.r.t
the color option usage. Now I have stumbled upon a commit f38e278b8446 ("bridge:
make -c match -compressvlans first instead of -color") that was added back in
2018 which says that "there are apps and network interface managers out there
that are already using -c to prepresent compressed vlans".

So after finding the commit f38e278b8446, now I think the man page should have
fixed instead of changing the bridge.c to align the behaviour of the "bridge" cmd
with the man page. Do you think we can revert the bridge.c changes 82149efee9,
so that the "bridge" cmd detects "-c" as "-compressedvlans" instead of "-color"?

If we are reverting the commit 82149efee9, then "-c" will be detected as
"-compressedvlans" and I will send out a patch to change the "bridge" man page
to reflect the new "bridge" cmd behaviour. If we are not reverting the commit
82149efee9, then "-c" will be detected as "-color" and I will send a out a patch
to change the "bridge" cmd help menu to reflect the current "bridge" cmd behaviour.
Please share your thoughts.

And also regarding the "tc" cmd, in the man/man8/tc.8 man page, the "-c" option
is mentioned to be used as a shorthand option for "-color", but instead it is
detected as "-conf". So here also, we need to decide between fixing the man page
and fixing the "tc" cmd behaviour w.r.t to color option usage.

I understand that "matches()" gives a lot of trouble and I see that you both are
now preferring full "strcmp()" over "matches()" for newly added cmd line options.

Thanks
Gokul