Date:   Sun, 29 Aug 2021 08:10:17 -0700
From:   Richard Cochran <richardcochran@...il.com>
To:     Maciej Machnikowski <maciej.machnikowski@...el.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, intel-wired-lan@...ts.osuosl.org,
        abyagowi@...com, anthony.l.nguyen@...el.com, davem@...emloft.net,
        kuba@...nel.org, linux-kselftest@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 net-next 1/2] rtnetlink: Add new RTM_GETSYNCESTATE
 message to get SyncE status

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 10:05:11AM +0200, Maciej Machnikowski wrote:
> This patch adds the new RTM_GETSYNCESTATE message to query the status
> of SyncE syntonization on the device.
>
> Initial implementation returns:
>  - SyncE DPLL state
>  - Source of signal driving SyncE DPLL (SyncE, GNSS, PTP or External)
>  - Current index of Pin driving the DPLL
>
> SyncE state read needs to be implemented as ndo_get_synce_state function.
>
> This patch is SyncE-oriented. Future implementation can add additional
> functionality for reading different DPLL states using the same structure.

I would call this more "ice oriented" than SyncE oriented.  I'm not
sure there is even such a thing as "SyncE DPLL".  Does that term come
from 802.3?  To my understanding, that is one just way of implementing
it that works on super-Gigabit speed devices.

I have nothing against exposing the DPLL if you need to, however I'd
like to have an interface that support plain Gigabit as well.  This
could be done in a generic way by offering Control Register 9 as
described in 802.3.

Thanks,
Richard