Date:   Fri, 17 Sep 2021 09:05:41 +0200
From:   Eugene Syromyatnikov <evgsyr@...il.com>
To:     Alejandro Colomar <colomar.6.4.3@...il.com>
Cc:     "Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages@...il.com>,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org, linux-man <linux-man@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [BUG?] ipv6.7: SOCK_DGRAM can accept different protocols?

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 8:13 AM Alejandro Colomar
<colomar.6.4.3@...il.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Reading a stackoverflow question
> <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51996808/do-we-need-to-specify-protocol-when-type-is-sock-dgram-or-sock-stream-in-soc>
> it noted that, while ip(7) notes that protocol can be left as 0 for both
> SOCK_STREAM and SOCK_DGRAM, ipv6(7) is misleading and seems to suggest
> that protocol may be significant for SOCK_DGRAM (at least in the SYNOPSIS).

It can be left as 0, but, I think, IPPROTO_UDPLITE (at least) can be
specified in both cases, if the caller wishes so (as well as
IPPROTO_MPTCP/IPPROTO_SCTP for SOCK_STREAM, and some other, more
obscure protocols, like DCCP or L2TP).

--
Eugene Syromyatnikov
mailto:evgsyr@...il.com