Date:   Tue, 5 Oct 2021 08:54:34 +0000
From:   Alvin Šipraga <ALSI@...g-olufsen.dk>
To:     "netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
CC:     Vladimir Oltean <vladimir.oltean@....com>,
        Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>,
        Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
Subject: DSA: some questions regarding TX forwarding offload

Hi,

I am trying to implement TX forwarding offload for my in-progress
rtl8365mb DSA driver. I have some questions which I could use some
clarification on. They might be specific to my hardware, which is also
OK, but then some advice on how to proceed would be helpful.

Q1. Can the tagging driver somehow retrieve a port mask from the DSA
switch driver in order to assemble the CPU->switch tag on xmit? Is there
some infrastructure in place to share such data between the two drivers?

Q2. Is it expected by DSA that two isolated ports (e.g. two ports
belonging to two separate bridges) can be members of the same VLAN
without issue?

Background: The RTL8365MB's CPU tag includes an ALLOW field followed by
a "port mask" field. If ALLOW=1 then - based on the VLAN tag in the
frame and the port mask - the switch will automatically replicate the
frame and egress it on all suitable ports, but only ports which are in
the port mask.

If ALLOW=1, and if the port mask is all zeroes or all ones, then the
switch will make its forwarding decision based only on the VLAN tag in
the frame (if any). Now consider a configuration as follows:

         br0            br1
          +              +
          |              |
      +---+---+      +---+---+
      |       |      |       |
     swp0    swp1   swp2    swp3

... with both bridges containing switch port(s) belonging to the same
VLAN n. How should I prevent - with TX forwarding offload - a packet
with VID=n from being egressed on a port on the opposite bridge which
belongs to the same VLAN n?

In the above scenario, either I must refine the CPU tag "port mask"
(hence Q1), or I must restrict the hardware configuration in some way
(hence Q2), or I must conclude that TX forwarding offload is not
possible with these constraints, or there is some alternative solution
or nuance that I have not thought of.

Thank you in advance,

	Alvin