Date:   Tue, 7 Dec 2021 00:58:20 +0000
From:   "Russell King (Oracle)" <linux@...linux.org.uk>
To:     Vladimir Oltean <olteanv@...il.com>
Cc:     Martyn Welch <martyn.welch@...labora.com>,
        Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>,
        Vivien Didelot <vivien.didelot@...il.com>,
        Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org, kernel@...labora.com
Subject: Re: mv88e6240 configuration broken for B850v3

On Tue, Dec 07, 2021 at 01:27:35AM +0200, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 06, 2021 at 09:49:37PM +0000, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 06, 2021 at 09:27:33PM +0000, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> > > We used to just rely on the PPU bit for making the decision, but when
> > > I introduced that helper, I forgot that the PPU bit doesn't exist on
> > > the 6250 family, which resulted in commit 4a3e0aeddf09. Looking at
> > > 4a3e0aeddf09, I now believe the fix there to be wrong. It should
> > > have made mv88e6xxx_port_ppu_updates() follow
> > > mv88e6xxx_phy_is_internal() for internal ports only for the 6250 family
> > > that has the link status bit in that position, especially as one can
> > > disable the PPU bit in DSA switches such as 6390, which for some ports
> > > stops the PHY being used and switches the port to serdes mode.
> > > "Internal" ports aren't always internal on these switches.
> >
> > Here's the situation I'm concerned about. The 88E6390X has two serdes
> > each with four lanes. Let's just think about one serdes. Lane 0 is
> > assigned to port 9 and lane 1 to port 4. We don't need to consider
> > any others.
> >
> > If the PHY_DETECT bit (effectively PPU poll enable) is set for port 4,
> > which is an "internal" port, then the port is in auto-media mode, and
> > the PPU will poll the internal PHY and the serdes, and configure
> > according to which has link.
> >
> > If the PPU bit is clear, then the port is forced to serdes mode.
> > However, in this configuration, we end up with:
> >
> > 	mv88e6xxx_phy_is_internal(ds, port) = true
> > 	mv88e6xxx_port_ppu_updates(chip, port) = false
> >
> > which results in:
> >
> >         if ((!mv88e6xxx_phy_is_internal(ds, port) &&
> >              !mv88e6xxx_port_ppu_updates(chip, port)) ||
> >             mode == MLO_AN_FIXED) {
> >
> > being false since we have (!true && !false) || false. So, in actual
> > fact, when we have a PHY_DETECT bit, we _do_ need to take note of it
> > whether the port is "internal" or not. Essentially, that means that
> > for DSA switches that are not part of the 6250, we should be using
> > the PHY_DETECT bit.
> >
> > For the 6250 family, the problem is that there's no PHY_DETECT bit,
> > and that's the link status. So I've started a separate discussion
> > with Maarten to find out which Marvell switch is being used and
> > whether an alterative approach would work for him.
>
> I hope that you understand that it is getting very difficult for me to
> follow, especially when faced with contradictory information about
> hardware that I am not familiar with, and which may well be very
> different from one family to another for all I know.
>
> Commit 4a3e0aeddf09 ("net: dsa: mv88e6xxx: don't use PHY_DETECT on
> internal PHY's") says nothing about the 6250, and I have nothing through
> which I can cross-check your statement about the change only being
> applicable/needed for 6250.
>
> The documentation I happen to have access to, which is for the 6097,
> says about "Forcing Link, Speed, Duplex in the MAC":
>
> | These bits change the port's MAC mode only! It does not change the mode
> [...]

I hope you realise that _your_ attitude here is frustrating and
inflamatory. This is _not_ a "completely unrelated reason" - this
is about getting the right solution to Martyn's problem. I thought
about doing another detailed reply, but when I got to the part
about you wanting to check 6390X, I discarded that reply and
wrote this one instead. You clearly have a total distrust for
everything that I write in any email, so I just won't bother.

FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!