Date:   Thu, 6 Jan 2022 09:59:53 -0800
From:   Colin Foster <colin.foster@...advantage.com>
To:     Vladimir Oltean <olteanv@...il.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        Alexandre Belloni <alexandre.belloni@...tlin.com>,
        katie.morris@...advantage.com, UNGLinuxDriver@...rochip.com
Subject: Re: ocelot-pcs - qsgmii planning

Hi Vladimir,

On Thu, Jan 06, 2022 at 12:48:37PM +0200, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> I'm sorry, but I have no direct experience with the SERDES and PCS of
> the Ocelot switches, since those blocks were completely replaced from
> the NXP instantiations I'm playing with.

I realized that might be the case as I was writing this email. Thank you
for still helping.

> On Thu, Jan 06, 2022 at 01:50:03AM -0800, Colin Foster wrote:
> > Hi Alexandre, Vladimir, and those with interest of Ocelot chips,
> >
> > I'm starting this thread to just touch base before I dive into any PCS
> > changes for Ocelot. I've appreciated all your guidance, and the only
> > time I felt I've been led astray is when Alexandre told me it should be
> > easy :-)
> >
> > I'm at the point where I'm starting to integrate the additional 4 copper
> > ports of the VSC7512 reference board. They are 4 ports connected through
> > a QSGMII bus, to a VSC8514 phy.
> >
> > The 8514 driver seems to be getting invoked, and running just fine.
> > Also, I was able to slightly modify (hack*)
> > drivers/phy/mscc/phy-ocelot-serdes.c to work with my in-development
> > ocelot-mfd. I believe that is what I need to configure the HSIO
> > registers.
>
> And are you also getting a reference to it and calling it, like the
> ocelot driver does here?
>
> 	err = phy_set_mode_ext(serdes, PHY_MODE_ETHERNET, phy_mode);
>
> Could we see that portion of the code in the felix driver?

Oh, no I'm not. That's probably the hint that I need. I see that happens
in VSC7514 probe before calling ocelot_port_init, unlike felix. Alright,
there's some work for me to do! Thanks :)

> [...]
> >
> >     port@4 {
> >         reg = <4>;
> >         label = "swp4";
> >         status = "okay";
> >         phy-handle = <&sw_phy4>;
> >         phy-mode = "qsgmii";
> >         phys = <&serdes 4 SERDES6G(0)>;
> >     };
> >     port@5 {
> >         reg = <5>;
> >         label = "swp5";
> >         status = "okay";
> >         phy-handle = <&sw_phy5>;
> >         phy-mode = "qsgmii";
> >         phys = <&serdes 5 SERDES6G(0)>;
> >     };
> >     serdes: serdes {
> >         compatible = "mscc,vsc7514-serdes";
> >         #phy-cells = <2>;
> >     };
> >     mdio1: mdio1 {
> >         compatible = "mscc,ocelot-miim",
> >         pinctrl-names = "default";
> >         pinctrl-0 = <&miim1>;
> >         #address-cells = <1>;
> >         #size-cells = <0>;
> >
> >         sw_phy4: ethernet-phy@4 {
> >             reg = <0x4>;
> >         };
> >     };
> >
> > [    3.886787] libphy: ocelot_ext MDIO bus: probed
> > [    5.345891] ocelot-ext-switch ocelot-ext-switch: PHY [ocelot-ext-switch-mii:00] driver [Generic PHY] (irq=POLL)
> > [    5.357341] ocelot-ext-switch ocelot-ext-switch: configuring for phy/internal link mode
> > [    5.372525] ocelot-ext-switch ocelot-ext-switch swp1 (uninitialized): PHY [ocelot-ext-switch-mii:01] driver [Generic PHY] (irq=POLL)
> > [    5.388865] ocelot-ext-switch ocelot-ext-switch swp2 (uninitialized): PHY [ocelot-ext-switch-mii:02] driver [Generic PHY] (irq=POLL)
> > [    5.405086] ocelot-ext-switch ocelot-ext-switch swp3 (uninitialized): PHY [ocelot-ext-switch-mii:03] driver [Generic PHY] (irq=POLL)
> > [    6.291876] ocelot-ext-switch ocelot-ext-switch swp4 (uninitialized): PHY [ocelot-miim1-mii:04] driver [Microsemi GE VSC8514 SyncE] (irq=POLL)
> > [    6.471891] ocelot-ext-switch ocelot-ext-switch swp5 (uninitialized): PHY [ocelot-miim1-mii:05] driver [Microsemi GE VSC8514 SyncE] (irq=POLL)
> > [    6.651895] ocelot-ext-switch ocelot-ext-switch swp6 (uninitialized): PHY [ocelot-miim1-mii:06] driver [Microsemi GE VSC8514 SyncE] (irq=POLL)
> > [    6.831879] ocelot-ext-switch ocelot-ext-switch swp7 (uninitialized): PHY [ocelot-miim1-mii:07] driver [Microsemi GE VSC8514 SyncE] (irq=POLL)
> >

> > It seems like that, along with everything in vsc7514_phylink_mac_config,
> > should be everything I need for operation of the four ports through the
> > 8512. I've added OCELOT_QUIRK_SGMII_PORTS_MUST_BE_UP - but I'm not sure
> > that's a quirk I need. Plus the only behavior it currently adds is once
> > the port is up, it never comes back down.
>
> Correct. I noticed that the code was structured to do this when I
> converted it to phylink, but I don't know if it's needed either. I just
> named that behavior as OCELOT_QUIRK_QSGMII_PORTS_MUST_BE_UP and made it

I'll report my findings.

> > The current behavior I'm seeing is links and rates get detected, packets
> > appear to be getting transmitted (ethtool stats) but they aren't, and
> > nothing is received on either end.
>
> could you also check ethtool --phy-statistics swp4 on both ends?

phy_cu_media_link_disconnect increments as expected. No activity on
phy_cu_media_crc_good_count. I feel like it probably isn't worth digging
too much into this until I fix the phy_set_mode_ext.

> > Is there something I'm missing with the device tree? Or is this the
> > purpose of the PCS driver I'm looking into? I'm getting a feeling that
> > my configuration is correct, and that I need to add SerDes support for
> > these ports in phylink_mac_config... I noticed that there's the "SGMII
> > only for now" comment, and when I look at the reference application for
> > the 7512 there's a comment "external phy uses QSGMII interface" that
> > appears to set the SGMII_MODE_ENA bit to 0.
>
> SGMII_MODE_ENA in PCS1G_MODE_CFG refers to the selection between Cisco
> SGMII/QSGMII vs IEEE 802.3 fiber modes. Different autonegotiation code
> words being transmitted. It's correct to leave it the way it is. It's
> curious that the reference application suggests to set it to 0 for QSGMII.
> I suppose that if in-band autoneg isn't enabled in PCS1G_ANEG_CFG, it
> doesn't really matter what kind of autoneg is used.
>
> For SGMII vs QSGMII, the serdes_set_mode() function in
> phy-ocelot-serdes.c should set HSIO_HW_CFG_QSGMII_ENA where appropriate.

I agree. I think you've answered my most important question, which is
whether there's an obvious issue in my Device Tree / understanding. A
blunder there can lead to significant loss of time making this work the
wrong way. Shuffling datasheets, reference apps, register dumps...

> > Thank you as always for your time,
> >
> > Colin Foster.
>
> What bootloader do you use? Do you have VSC8514 PHY initialization of
> any sort in the bootloader?

U-Boot (now you know my secret next project...) that is basically the
default configuration of BeagleBone. Definitely no VSC8514 knowledge by
way of SPI > 7512 > MDIO(1) > 8514.