Date:   Wed, 16 Feb 2022 03:38:31 +0800
From:   Shung-Hsi Yu <shung-hsi.yu@...e.com>
To:     Yonghong Song <yhs@...com>
CC:     Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>,
        Connor O'Brien <connoro@...gle.com>,
        Michal Suchánek <msuchanek@...e.de>,
        bpf <bpf@...r.kernel.org>,
        Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        Andrii Nakryiko <andrii@...nel.org>,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: BTF compatibility issue across builds

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 10:36:28PM -0800, Yonghong Song wrote:
> On 2/11/22 9:40 PM, Shung-Hsi Yu wrote:

> > Since we're talking about matching check, I'd like bring up another issue.
> >
> > AFAICT with current form of BTF, checking whether BTF on kernel module
> > matches cannot be made entirely robust without a new version of btf_header
> > that contain info about the base BTF.
>
> The base BTF is always the one associated with running kernel and typically
> the BTF is under /sys/kernel/btf/vmlinux. Did I miss
> anything here?
>
> > As effective as the checks are in this case, by detecting a type name being
> > an empty string and thus conclude it's non-matching, with some (bad) luck a
> > non-matching BTF could pass these checks a gets loaded.
>
> Could you be a little bit more specific about the 'bad luck' a
> non-matching BTF could get loaded? An example will be great.

Let me try take a jab at it. Say here's a hypothetical BTF for a kernel
module which only type information for `struct something *`:

  [5] PTR '(anon)' type_id=4

Which is built upon the follow base BTF:

  [1] INT 'unsigned char' size=1 bits_offset=0 nr_bits=8 encoding=(none)
  [2] PTR '(anon)' type_id=3
  [3] STRUCT 'list_head' size=16 vlen=2
        'next' type_id=2 bits_offset=0
        'prev' type_id=2 bits_offset=64
  [4] STRUCT 'something' size=2 vlen=2
        'locked' type_id=1 bits_offset=0
        'pending' type_id=1 bits_offset=8

Due to the situation mentioned in the beginning of the thread, the *runtime*
kernel have a different base BTF, in this case type IDs are offset by 1 due
to an additional typedef entry:

  [1] TYPEDEF 'u8' type_id=1
  [2] INT 'unsigned char' size=1 bits_offset=0 nr_bits=8 encoding=(none)
  [3] PTR '(anon)' type_id=3
  [4] STRUCT 'list_head' size=16 vlen=2
        'next' type_id=2 bits_offset=0
        'prev' type_id=2 bits_offset=64
  [5] STRUCT 'something' size=2 vlen=2
        'locked' type_id=1 bits_offset=0
        'pending' type_id=1 bits_offset=8

Then when loading the BTF on kernel module on the runtime, the kernel will
mistakenly interprets "PTR '(anon)' type_id=4" as `struct list_head *`
rather than `struct something *`.

Does this should possible? (at least theoretically)