Date:   Fri, 18 Mar 2022 12:30:47 +0000
From:   <Parthiban.Veerasooran@...rochip.com>
To:     <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
CC:     <Jan.Huber@...rochip.com>, <Thorsten.Kummermehr@...rochip.com>
Subject: Clarification on user configurable parameters implementation in PHY
 driver

Hi All,

Microchip LAN8670 is a high-performance 10BASE-T1S single-pair Ethernet
PHY transceiver for 10 Mbit/s half-duplex networking over a single pair
of conductors. The LAN8670 is designed for use in high-reliability cost
sensitive industrial, back plane, and building automation
sensor/actuator applications.

Physical Layer Collision Avoidance (PLCA) is one of the features in this
PHY which allows for high bandwidth utilization by avoiding collisions
on the physical layer and burst mode for transmission of multiple
packets for high packet rate latency-sensitive applications. This PLCA
feature uses the following user configurable parameters to be configured
through PHY driver.

     1. PLCA node id
     2. PLCA node count
     3. PLCA transmit opportunity time
     4. PLCA max burst count
     5. PLCA max burst time
     6. PLCA enable/disable

In the existing PHY frame work, I don't see any interface to expose the
user configurable parameters to user space from PHY driver. I did even
refer some PHY drivers in the kernel source and they are hard coded the
configurable values in the driver and of course they are not needed to
be configured by user.

But in our case, the above parameters are user configurable for
different nodes (Ethernet interfaces) in the network.

Could you please propose a right approach to implement the above
requirement ?

Thanks & Regards,
Parthiban V
Microchip Technology Inc.