Date:   Mon, 21 Mar 2022 19:13:49 +0000
From:   Alexander Duyck <alexanderduyck@...com>
To:     Vladimir Oltean <olteanv@...il.com>
CC:     Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>, Jiri Pirko <jiri@...dia.com>,
        Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>,
Subject: RE: Possible to use both dev_mc_sync and __dev_mc_sync?

It all depends on the complexity of the setup. The standard __hw_addr_sync basically assumes you are operating in one of two states.
Sync: sync_cnt == 0, refcount == 1 -> sync_cnt = 1, refcount++
Unsync: sync_cnt == 1, refcount == 1 -> sync_cnt = 0, entry deleted

I myself am not all that familiar with the multiple approach either, however it seems to operate on the idea that the reference count should always be greater than the sync count. So the device will hold one reference and it will sync the address as long as it doesn't already exist in the lower devices address table based on the rules in __hw_addr_add_ex.

Also this might explain why some were synching while others weren't. It is possible that the lower dev already had the address present and as such was rejected for not being an exclusive address for this device.