Date:   Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:00:19 +0300
From:   Arınç ÜNAL <arinc.unal@...nc9.com>
To:     Vladimir Oltean <olteanv@...il.com>
Cc:     Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
        Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>,
        Alvin Šipraga <ALSI@...g-olufsen.dk>,
        Linus Walleij <linus.walleij@...aro.org>,
        Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>,
        Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca <luizluca@...il.com>,
        DENG Qingfang <dqfext@...il.com>, erkin.bozoglu@...ont.com,
        Sean Wang <sean.wang@...iatek.com>,
        Mark Lee <Mark-MC.Lee@...iatek.com>
Subject: Re: Isolating DSA Slave Interfaces on a Bridge with Bridge Offloading

>>> https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/netdevbpf/patch/20210811135247.1703496-1-dqfext@gmail.com/
>>> https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/netdevbpf/patch/20210812142213.2251697-1-dqfext@gmail.com/
>>
>> With v2 applied, when I issue the port isolation command, I get "RTNETLINK
>> answers: Not supported" as it's not implemented in mt7530 yet?
>
> The entire idea is to get -EINVAL as returned from here, because
> BR_ISOLATED will be present in flags.mask:
>
> static int
> mt7530_port_pre_bridge_flags(struct dsa_switch *ds, int port,
> 			     struct switchdev_brport_flags flags,
> 			     struct netlink_ext_ack *extack)
> {
> 	if (flags.mask & ~(BR_LEARNING | BR_FLOOD | BR_MCAST_FLOOD |
> 			   BR_BCAST_FLOOD))
> 		return -EINVAL;
>
> 	return 0;
> }
>
> Now, the entire error handling from br_switchdev_set_port_flag() is a
> bit of a disaster.
> https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/net/bridge/br_switchdev.c#L77
>
> 	/* We run from atomic context here */
> 	err = call_switchdev_notifiers(SWITCHDEV_PORT_ATTR_SET, p->dev,
> 				       &info.info, extack);
> 	err = notifier_to_errno(err);
> 	if (err == -EOPNOTSUPP) // Drivers need to return -EINVAL here to distinguish themselves from "no one responded to this notifier", which is a non-error.
> 		return 0;
>
> 	if (err) {
> 		if (extack && !extack->_msg)
> 			NL_SET_ERR_MSG_MOD(extack,
> 					   "bridge flag offload is not supported");
> 		return -EOPNOTSUPP; // However, any other error code passed from the driver, like -EINVAL, is ignored and replaced with -EOPNOTSUPP by the bridge.
> 	}
>
> I think this is where the "Not supported" error message comes from, in
> your case. It would be good to double-check with prints, though.
>
> Also, you might want to consider compiling iproute2 with libmnl support,
> to get extack messages from the kernel. Here it seems like you're
> missing "bridge flag offload is not supported", which would have been a
> clear indication that this is the code path that was taken.

I added a pr_info here as it looked easier to test this:

	/* We run from atomic context here */
	err = call_switchdev_notifiers(SWITCHDEV_PORT_ATTR_SET, p->dev,
				       &info.info, extack);
	err = notifier_to_errno(err);
	if (err == -EOPNOTSUPP)
		return 0;

	if (err) {
		if (extack && !extack->_msg)
			pr_info("Port flag is not supported");
			NL_SET_ERR_MSG_MOD(extack,
					   "bridge flag offload is not supported");
		pr_info("Port flag is not supported");
		return -EOPNOTSUPP;
	}

Looks like this is the expected result:

root@...nWrt:/# bridge link set dev sw0p3 isolated on
[   55.862862] Port flag is not supported
RTNETLINK answers: Not supported
root@...nWrt:/# bridge link set dev sw0p3 isolated on
[   55.862893] Port flag is not supported
[   58.492025] Port flag is not supported
RTNETLINK answers: Not supported

>>> As a result, currently not even the correctness issue has still not yet
>>> been fixed, let alone having any driver act upon the feature correctly.
>>
>> It's unfortunate that this patch was put on hold just because of incomplete
>> commit description. In my eyes, this is a significant fix.
>
> I agree here. You could send the patch yourself, after making some tests.

Will do.

Arınç