Date:   Wed, 11 May 2022 03:13:16 -0400
From:   "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>
To:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:     Nathan Chancellor <nathan@...nel.org>,
        Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@...uxfoundation.org>,
        KVM list <kvm@...r.kernel.org>,
        virtualization@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
        Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        mie@...l.co.jp
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] virtio: last minute fixup

On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 04:50:47PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 4:12 PM Nathan Chancellor <nathan@...nel.org> wrote:
> >
> > For what it's worth, as someone who is frequently tracking down and
> > reporting issues, a link to the mailing list post in the commit message
> > makes it much easier to get these reports into the right hands, as the
> > original posting is going to have all relevant parties in one location
> > and it will usually have all the context necessary to triage the
> > problem.
>
> Honestly, I think such a thing would be trivial to automate with
> something like just a patch-id lookup, rather than a "Link:".
>
> And such a lookup model ("where was this patch posted") would work for
> <i>any</i> patch (and often also find previous unmodified versions of
> it when it has been posted multiple times).
>
> I suspect that most of the building blocks of such automation
> effectively already exists, since I think the lore infrastructure
> already integrates with patchwork, and patchwork already has a "look
> up by patch id".
>
> Wouldn't it be cool if you had some webby interface to just go from
> commit SHA1 to patch ID to a lore.kernel.org lookup of where said
> patch was done?

Yes, that would be cool!

> Of course, I personally tend to just search by the commit contents
> instead, which works just about as well. If the first line of the
> commit isn't very unique, add a "f:author" to the search.
>
> IOW, I really don't find much value in the "Link to original
> submission", because that thing is *already* trivial to find, and the
> lore search is actually better in many ways (it also tends to find
> people *reporting* that commit, which is often what you really want -
> the reason you're doing the search is that there's something going on
> with it).
>
> My argument here really is that "find where this commit was posted" is
>
>  (a) not generally the most interesting thing
>
>  (b) doesn't even need that "Link:" line.
>
> but what *is* interesting, and where the "Link:" line is very useful,
> is finding where the original problem that *caused* that patch to be
> posted in the first place.
>
> Yes, obviously you can find that original problem by searching too if
> the commit message has enough other information.
>
> For example, if there is an oops quoted in the commit message, I have
> personally searched for parts of that kind of information to find the
> original report and discussion.
>
> So that whole "searching is often an option" is true for pretty much
> _any_ Link:, but I think that for the whole "original submission" it's
> so mindless and can be automated that it really doesn't add much real
> value at all.
>
>                 Linus

For me a problematic use-case is multiple versions of the patchset.
So I have a tree and I apply a patchset, start testing etc. Meanwhile author
posts another version. At that point I want to know which version
did I apply. Since people put that within [] in the subject, it
gets stripped off.

Thinking about it some more, how about sticking a link to the *cover
letter* in the commit, instead?  That would serve an extra useful purpose of
being able to figure out which patches are part of the same patchset.
And maybe Change "Link:" to "Patchset:" or "Cover-letter:"?

--
MST