Date:   Fri, 20 May 2022 09:50:15 +0200
From:   Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@...filter.org>
To:     Felix Fietkau <nbd@....name>
Cc:     netfilter-devel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        Jo-Philipp Wich <jo@...n.io>
Subject: Re: [RFC] netfilter: nf_tables: ignore errors on flowtable device hw
 offload setup

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 05:37:12PM +0200, Felix Fietkau wrote:

> [...]
> > > effort basis for all devices.
> > > What I like even less is the number of implementation details that it has to
> > > consider.
> > >
> > > For example: Let's assume we have a machine with several devices, some of
> > > which support hw offload, some of which don't. We have a mix of VLANs and
> > > bridges in there as well, maybe even PPPoE.
> > > Now the admin of that machine wants to enable best-effort hardware +
> > > software flow offloading for that configuration.
> > > Now he (or a piece of user space software dealing with the config) has to do
> > > these things:
> > > - figure out which devices could support hw offload, create a separate flow
> > > table for them
> > > - be aware of which of these devices are actually used by looking at the
> > > stack of bridges, vlans, dsa devices, etc.
> > > - if an error occurs, test them individually just to see which one actually
> > > failed and leave it out of the flowtable
> > > - for sw offload be aware that there is limited support for offloading decap
> > > of vlans/pppoe, count the number of decaps and figure out the right input
> > > device to add based on the behavior of nft_dev_path_info, so that the
> > > 'indev' it selects matches the device you put in the flow table.
> > >
> > > So I'm asking you: Am I getting any of this completely wrong? Do you
> > > consider it to be a reasonable trade-off to force the admin (or intermediate
> > > user space layer) to jump through these hoops for such a simple use case,
> > > just because somebody might want more fine grained control?
> > >
> > > I consider this patch to be a first step towards making simple use cases
> > > easier to configure. I'd also be fine with adding a flag to make the
> > > fallback behavior opt-in, even though I think it would make a much better
> > > default.
> > >
> > > Eventually I'd also like to add a flag that makes it unnecessary to even
> > > specify the devices in the flow table by making the code auto-create hooks
> > > for devices with active flows, just like I did in my xtables target.
> > > You correctly pointed out to me in the past that this comes at the cost of a
> > > few packets delay before offloading kicks in, but I'm still wondering: who
> > > actually cares about that?
> > >
> > > If I'm completely off-base with this, please let me know. I'm simply trying
> > > to make sense of all of this...
> >
> > Maybe only fail if _none_ of the selected devices support for hardware
> > offload, ie. instead of silently accepting all devices, count of the
> > number of devices for which a block has been set up, if it is == 0
> > then bail out with EOPNOTSUPP.
>
> I've thought about this some more. The problem with that is if you start by
> having only non-hw-offload devices in the flow table, you can't create it
> with the offload flag.
>
> If you then want to add another device that is capable of doing hw offload,
> it means you have to delete the flowtable and recreate it (along with the
> rules that depend on it), since adding the offload flag at runtime isn't

I'm sssuming we relax the requirement as I proposed, ie. allow for not
allow devices to support for hardware offload, but at least one.

Then, it should be possible to extend the netlink interface to promote
a flowtable to support hardware offload, e.g.

 add flowtable inet x y { hook ingress devices = { eth0, eth1 } priority 0; flags offload; }

For an existing flowtable, that will add eth0 and eth1, and it will
request to turn hardware offload.

This is not supported, these bits are missing in the netlink interface.

> I still think the best course of action is to silently accept the offload
> flag even if none of the devices support hw offload.

Silent means user is asking for something that is actually not
supported, there will be no effective way from the control plane to
check if what they request is actually being applied.

I'd propose two changes:

- relax the existing requirement, so if one device support hw offload,
  then accept the configuration.

- allow to update a flowtable to on/off hardware offload from netlink
  interface without needing to reload your whole ruleset.