Date:   Fri, 27 May 2022 14:26:57 -0700
From:   Jesse Brandeburg <jesse.brandeburg@...el.com>
To:     Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
        Sven Anders <sven.anders@...uras.de>
CC:     netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        <intel-wired-lan@...ts.osuosl.org>,
        "Tony Nguyen" <anthony.l.nguyen@...el.com>
Subject: Re: Bonding problem on Intel X710 hardware

On 5/17/2022 1:45 PM, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> CC: intel

Thanks for the copy.

> On Tue, 17 May 2022 16:23:16 +0200 Sven Anders wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> This is a follow up to my question. I did not hear anything so far, but I tried
>> to find some some information meanwhile.
>>
>> I've got a guess from somebody, that the error message "Error I40E_AQ_RC_EINVAL
>> adding RX filters on PF, promiscuous mode forced on" maybe triggered, because
>> I'm hitting a limit here.

Yes, typically this is a response from our firmware that a table is full
in hardware, and I'm guessing that you might be running into a filter
limit due to using vlans?

>> Somebody other said, that this seems to be an error in the "bonding driver", but
>> I do not think so. Aside from that, there seem to be no special "bonding" mailing
>> list anymore. So I will have to ask this questions here anyway...

this netdev list is the bonding list since it's part of the networking
stack in the kernel.

>> I want to understand the problem to classify it.
>>
>> 1) Why is this "error" issued? Do I really hit a limit and what is this current limit?
>> 2) Is it really an error or is it more "a warning"?
>> 3) Why is this error triggered only when changing the "ntuples filter" and not during
>>      the normal adding of VLANs?
>>      Remark: I can trigger the "ntuples fiilter" later on again and it still works.
>>
>> I also tried the latest 5.18-rc kernel with the same problem.
>>
>> Maybe somebody will find time and try to reproduce this?
>> I will answer any questions...

We assigned someone to look into reproduction of this today, and they'll
get back to you if we have further questions.

>> Regards
>>    Sven
>>
>> Am 12.05.22 um 16:05 schrieb Sven Anders:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I'm having problems setting up a bond in adaptive load balancing
>>> mode (balance-alb, mode 6) on an intel X710 network adapter using
>>> the i40e driver connected to an Aruba 2530-48G switch.
>>> The network card has 4 on board ports.
>>> I'm using 2 ports for the bond with 36 VLANs on it.
>>>
>>> The setup is correct, because it works without problems, if
>>> I use the same setup with 1GBit Intel hardware (using the
>>> e1000e driver, version 3.2.6-k, firmware 5.10-2).
>>>
>>> Data packets are only received sporadically. If I run the same test
>>> with only one slave port, it works without problems.

And there are no counters going up in ethtool -S when you receive/drop
packets?