Date:   Tue, 21 Jun 2022 14:09:14 +0300
From:   Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko@...ux.intel.com>
To:     Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
Cc:     Marcin Wojtas <mw@...ihalf.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        rafael@...nel.org, lenb@...nel.org, vivien.didelot@...il.com,
        f.fainelli@...il.com, olteanv@...il.com, davem@...emloft.net,
        edumazet@...gle.com, kuba@...nel.org, pabeni@...hat.com,
        linux@...linux.org.uk, hkallweit1@...il.com, gjb@...ihalf.com,
        jaz@...ihalf.com, tn@...ihalf.com, Samer.El-Haj-Mahmoud@....com,
        upstream@...ihalf.com
Subject: Re: [net-next: PATCH 09/12] Documentation: ACPI: DSD: introduce DSA
 description

On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 09:47:31PM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:

> > +        Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
> > +        {
> > +            Memory32Fixed (ReadWrite,
> > +                0xf212a200,
> > +                0x00000010,
>
> What do these magic numbers mean?

Address + Length, it's all described in the ACPI specification. Or if you asked
why the values there are the particular numbers? I guess it's fined to have
anything sane in the example. OTOH a comment may be added.

> > +                )
> > +        })

> > +        Device (SWI0)
> > +        {
> > +            Name (_HID, "MRVL0120")
> > +            Name (_UID, 0x00)
> > +            Name (_ADR, 0x4)
> > +            <...>
> > +        }
>
> I guess it is not normal for ACPI, but could you add some comments
> which explain this. In DT we have
>
>     properties:
>       reg:
>         minimum: 0
>         maximum: 31
>           The ID number for the device.
>
> which i guess what this _ADR property is, but it would be nice if it
> actually described what it is supposed to mean. You have a lot of
> undocumented properties here.

Btw, you are right, _ADR mustn't go together with _HID/_CID.

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko