Date:   Fri, 8 Jul 2022 09:00:09 +0200
From:   Jesper Dangaard Brouer <jbrouer@...hat.com>
To:     Srivats P <pstavirs@...il.com>, Xdp <xdp-newbies@...r.kernel.org>,
        Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Cc:     brouer@...hat.com, Lorenzo Bianconi <lorenzo.bianconi@...hat.com>,
        David Ahern <dsahern@...nel.org>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: netdev stats for AF_XDP traffic

On 08/07/2022 08.19, Srivats P wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any update on the "consistency for XDP statistics" [1]
> high-prio work item from the xdp-project.net project management page?

Lorenzo (cc) have done cleanups in several drivers, both mvneta and
veth, but not mlx5. Ahern (cc) also had an interest earlier.

> More specifically the fact that the mlx driver (are there others too?)
> don't update netdev/ifconfig stats for XDP/AF_XDP traffic?

IMHO the drivers MUST update the netdev/ifconfig RX stats, even when an
XDP action is taken.  XDP-progs are user installed software, and not
updating netdev RX-stats (for some XDP actions) is very confusing for
all existing stats collector tools.
The mlx drivers are (sadly) the most inconsistent if I remember correctly.

> The email thread started for that item dates from 2018 and hasn't
> seen any updates after that.
I think nobody have really had the time to fix up this inconsistent
stats mess.

Are you interested in working on this?

> I see some recent patch/commit activity about XDP specific stats via
> netlink but I believe this is different from the standard
> netdev/ifconfig stats.

Yes, if taking this "task", I recommend focusing on standardizing
netdev/ifconfig stats behavior for XDP.  Solving the other XDP specific
stats is a much larger task with much upstream discussions required.

> Srivats
>
> [1] https://xdp-project.net/#Consistency-for-statistics-with-XDP

--Jesper