Date:   Thu, 4 Aug 2022 00:02:31 +0200
From:   Hauke Mehrtens <hauke@...ke-m.de>
To:     Martin Blumenstingl <martin.blumenstingl@...glemail.com>,
        Vladimir Oltean <olteanv@...il.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, andrew@...n.ch, vivien.didelot@...il.com,
        f.fainelli@...il.com, Aleksander Jan Bajkowski <olek2@...pl>
Subject: Re: net: dsa: lantiq_gswip: getting the first selftests to pass

On 7/31/22 22:49, Martin Blumenstingl wrote:
> [...]
>> can't exactly pinpoint what. When you say "install an FDB entry on port X",
>> what I understand is "make the packets with that FDB entry's MAC DA be
>> delivered towards port X". Or maybe I have something reversed?
>> I'm quite curious to know.
> Thanks a lot for explaining this (yet again)!
> There's three issues with my original sentence:
> - I should have used the term "user port's MAC address" instead of
> "CPU ports MAC"
> - "on the CPU port (6)" needs to be more precise, it should be
> "towards the CPU port (6)"
> - I'm not mentioning the source port (user port) number and thus FID at all
>
> Also I need to get the idea out of my head that the CPU port is equal to eth0.
> It's not, eth0 is connected to the CPU port on the switch.
>
> While working on my patches a more practical question came up while I
> was breaking the driver and then trying to make local_termination.sh
> pass again.
> At the start of run_tests for the standalone port scenario I am
> getting the following values:
>    rcv_dmac = 00:01:02:03:04:02
>    MACVLAN_ADDR = 00:00:de:ad:be:ef
> My expectation is that port_fdb_add() is called with these MAC
> addresses. I verified that dsa_switch_supports_uc_filtering() returns
> true, but still I
>
>>> Now if a packet/frame should target the CPU port we don't need
>>> flooding because the switch knows the destination port based on the
>>> FDB entry we installed.
>>
>> Yes, so rather than the CPU port being a 'dumb' pipe which passes all
>> packets through it, you're making it a slightly 'smarter' pipe which
>> essentially uses the FDB as an RX filter for standalone user ports.
>>
>>> Also I would like to point out that I am still doing all of this in my
>>> spare time.
>>
>> I'm doing this in my spare time as well, and I'm having fun while at it.
>> Sorry for being handwavy and insisting only on explaining the general
>> idea rather than opening the GSWIP manual and checking that what I'm
>> saying is actually implementable. [...]
> I fully understand this and it makes sense as others can also benefit
> from your explanation (since it's generic, not driver specific).
>
>> I'll do so if you have a specific question about something apparently
>> not mapping to the expectations.
> I still have an issue which I believe is related to the FDB handling.
>
> I *think* that I have implemented FDB isolation correctly in my
> work-in-progress branch [0].
>
> The GSWIP140 datasheet (page 82) has a "MAC Learning disable and MAC
> Learning Limitation Description" (table 26).
> In the xRX200 vendor kernel I cannot find the LNDIS bit in
> PCE_PCTRL_3, so I suspect it has only been added in newer GSWIP
> revisions (xRX200 is at least one major IP revision behind GSW140).
> Maybe Hauke knows?
> So what I'm doing to disable learning is setting the "learning limit"
> (which limits the number of entries that can be learned) for that port

There is no LNDIS bit in PCE_PCTRL_3 on the VR9 as far as I know.

What do you want to archive?

If you want to forward the packets only, but not learn the source mac
address you can configure the PSTATE register inb PCTRL_0 to forwarding
instead of learning. This is already implemented in
gswip_port_stp_state_set().