Date:   Mon, 29 Aug 2022 18:13:27 +0200 (CEST)
From:   Thorsten Glaser <t.glaser@...ent.de>
To:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: inter-qdisc communication?

On Mon, 29 Aug 2022, Dave Taht wrote:

> had means to do this, so did my debloat script.

OK, this basically does the same but with protocol all.

I don’t need ready-made scripts, I need building blocks
and some amount of understanding.

> > (I could just use netem but there’s still the issue of inter-
> > qdisc communication which I’d *very* much like to have, not just

This is still open… nothing? No inter-module communication possible?

Ideally, I’d configure one of the qdiscs to know the handle and device¹
of another, and then its .change op would call the .change op (or a
special function) from the other, but I lack sufficient Linux kernel
experience (even locking for SMP is something I always fear to miss).

① it really would help if just the handle is enough; they are practically
  global (in my setup) anyway because they determine the debugfs filename

Alternatively, the ability to run multiple tc commands without having to
do multiple fork/exec of the binary would help. Maybe even a “continuous”
mode, in which the binary would REPL commands from stdin, running them as
they’re read…

Thanks in advance,
//mirabilos
--
Infrastrukturexperte • tarent solutions GmbH
Am Dickobskreuz 10, D-53121 Bonn • http://www.tarent.de/