Date:   Wed, 31 Aug 2022 16:01:57 -0700
From:   Martin KaFai Lau <kafai@...com>
To:     Aditi Ghag <aditivghag@...il.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, bpf@...r.kernel.org,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        Yonghong Song <yhs@...com>,
        Kuniyuki Iwashima <kuniyu@...zon.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Socket termination for policy enforcement and
 load-balancing

On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 09:37:41AM -0700, Aditi Ghag wrote:
> - Use BPF (sockets) iterator to identify sockets connected to a
> deleted backend. The BPF (sockets) iterator is network namespace aware
> so we'll either need to enter every possible container network
> namespace to identify the affected connections, or adapt the iterator
> to be without netns checks [3]. This was discussed with my colleague
> Daniel Borkmann based on the feedback he shared from the LSFMMBPF
> conference discussions.
Being able to iterate all sockets across different netns will
be useful.

It should be doable to ignore the netns check.  For udp, a quick
thought is to have another iter target. eg. "udp_all_netns".
>From the sk, the bpf prog should be able to learn the netns and
the bpf prog can filter the netns by itself.

The TCP side is going to have an 'optional' per netns ehash table [0] soon,
not lhash2 (listening hash) though.  Ideally, the same bpf
all-netns iter interface should work similarly for both udp and
tcp case.  Thus, both should be considered and work at the same time.

For udp, something more useful than plain udp_abort() could potentially
be done.  eg. directly connect to another backend (by bpf kfunc?).
There may be some details in socket locking...etc but should
be doable and the bpf-iter program could be sleepable also.
fwiw, we are iterating the tcp socket to retire some older
bpf-tcp-cc (congestion control) on the long-lived connections
by bpf_setsockopt(TCP_CONGESTION).

Also, potentially, instead of iterating all,
a more selective case can be done by
bpf_prog_test_run()+bpf_sk_lookup_*()+udp_abort().

[0]: https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/20220830191518.77083-1-kuniyu@amazon.com/