Date:   Fri, 30 Sep 2022 16:49:44 +0000
From:   "Keller, Jacob E" <jacob.e.keller@...el.com>
To:     Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>, Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
CC:     Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>, Michael Walle <michael@...le.cc>,
        "Heiner Kallweit" <hkallweit1@...il.com>,
        Russell King <linux@...linux.org.uk>,
Subject: RE: PHY firmware update method

PLDM for Firmware does indeed specify a standardized header for binary images and could be used for PHY firmware. The PLDM header itself describes things as components, where each component gets a record which indicates the version of that component and where in the binary that component exists. Then there are a series of records which determine which sets of components go together and for which devices. I don't think the ice firmware files use the full standard as they always have only a single device record, though the lib/pldmfw codes does try to allow the more expressive ability to support multiple device types from a single binary. Specifying a PHY component would be possible, and you could fairly easily prepend a PLDM firmware header on top of an arbitrary binary.

Thanks,
Jake