Date:   Fri, 30 Sep 2022 16:37:08 -0700
From:   Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@...dia.com>
To:     Alexandra Winter <wintera@...ux.ibm.com>
Cc:     David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
        Niklas Schnelle <schnelle@...ux.ibm.com>,
        netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, linux-s390@...r.kernel.org,
        Heiko Carstens <hca@...ux.ibm.com>,
        Christian Borntraeger <borntraeger@...ux.ibm.com>,
        Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC net] net/mlx5: Fix performance regression for
 request-response workloads

On 26 Sep 12:06, Alexandra Winter wrote:

[ ... ]

>[...]
>
>Saeed,
>As discussed at LPC, could you please consider adding a workaround to the
>Mellanox driver, to use non-SG SKBs for small messages? As mentioned above
>we are seeing 13% throughput degradation, if 2 pages need to be mapped
>instead of 1.
>
>While Eric's ideas sound very promising, just using non-SG in these cases
>should be enough to mitigate the performance regression we see.

Hi Alexandra, sorry for the late response.

Yeas linearizing small messages makes sense, but will require some careful
perf testing.

We will do our best to include this in the next kernel release cycle.
I will take it with the mlx5e team next week, everybody is on vacation this
time of year :).

Thanks,
Saeed.