Date:   Fri, 14 Oct 2022 09:45:19 -0700
From:   Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>
To:     Paul Gofman <pgofman@...eweavers.com>
Cc:     Muhammad Usama Anjum <usama.anjum@...labora.com>,
        "open list:NETWORKING [TCP]" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Hideaki YOSHIFUJI <yoshfuji@...ux-ipv6.org>,
        David Ahern <dsahern@...nel.org>,
        Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] EADDRINUSE from bind() on application restart after killing

On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 9:39 AM Paul Gofman <pgofman@...eweavers.com> wrote:

> Sorry if I was unclear, to reformulate my question, is blocking
> listening port (not the accept one) this way a IETF requirement? I am
> asking because I could not find where such a requirement stems from
> there. Sorry if I am missing the obvious.

I think it is documented.

man 7 socket

       SO_REUSEADDR
              Indicates that the rules used in validating addresses
supplied in a bind(2) call should allow reuse of local addresses.  For
AF_INET sockets this means
              that a socket may bind, except when there is an active
listening socket bound to the address.  When the listening socket is
bound to INADDR_ANY with  a
              specific port then it is not possible to bind to this
port for any local address.  Argument is an integer boolean flag.

You seem to need another way, so you will have to ask this question in IETF.