Date:   Tue, 1 Nov 2022 13:12:36 -0700
From:   Stanislav Fomichev <sdf@...gle.com>
To:     Martin KaFai Lau <martin.lau@...ux.dev>
Cc:     "Bezdeka, Florian" <florian.bezdeka@...mens.com>,
        "bpf@...r.kernel.org" <bpf@...r.kernel.org>,
        "mtahhan@...hat.com" <mtahhan@...hat.com>,
        "xdp-hints@...-project.net" <xdp-hints@...-project.net>,
        "jolsa@...nel.org" <jolsa@...nel.org>,
        "haoluo@...gle.com" <haoluo@...gle.com>,
        Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: [xdp-hints] Re: [RFC bpf-next 0/5] xdp: hints via kfuncs

On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 10:05 AM Martin KaFai Lau <martin.lau@...ux.dev> wrote:

> On 10/31/22 6:59 PM, Stanislav Fomichev wrote:

> >> Can the xdp_copy_metadata_for_skb be written as a bpf prog itself?
> >> Not sure where is the best point to specify this prog though.  Somehow during
> >> bpf_xdp_redirect_map?
> >> or this prog belongs to the target cpumap and the xdp prog redirecting to this
> >> cpumap has to write the meta layout in a way that the cpumap is expecting?
> >
> > We're probably interested in triggering it from the places where xdp
> > frames can eventually be converted into skbs?
> > So for plain 'return XDP_PASS' and things like bpf_redirect/etc? (IOW,
> > anything that's not XDP_DROP / AF_XDP redirect).
> > We can probably make it magically work, and can generate
> > kernel-digestible metadata whenever data == data_meta, but the
> > question - should we?
> > (need to make sure we won't regress any existing cases that are not
> > relying on the metadata)
>
> Instead of having some kernel-digestible meta data, how about calling another
> bpf prog to initialize the skb fields from the meta area after
> __xdp_build_skb_from_frame() in the cpumap, so
> run_xdp_set_skb_fileds_from_metadata() may be a better name.
>
> The xdp_prog@rx sets the meta data and then redirect.  If the xdp_prog@rx can
> also specify a xdp prog to initialize the skb fields from the meta area, then
> there is no need to have a kfunc to enforce a kernel-digestible layout.  Not
> sure what is a good way to specify this xdp_prog though...

Not sure also about whether doing it at this point is too late or not?
Need to take a closer look at all __xdp_build_skb_from_frame call sites...
Also see Toke/Dave discussing potentially having helpers to override
some of that metadata. In this case, having more control on the user
side makes sense..

I'll probably start with an explicit helper for now, just to
see if the overall approach is workable. Maybe we can have a follow up
discussion about doing it more transparently.