Date:   Wed, 2 Nov 2022 15:06:41 +0100
From:   Jesper Dangaard Brouer <jbrouer@...hat.com>
To:     Martin KaFai Lau <martin.lau@...ux.dev>,
Cc:     brouer@...hat.com,
        "daniel@...earbox.net" <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        "bpf@...r.kernel.org" <bpf@...r.kernel.org>,
        "mtahhan@...hat.com" <mtahhan@...hat.com>,
        "xdp-hints@...-project.net" <xdp-hints@...-project.net>,
        "jolsa@...nel.org" <jolsa@...nel.org>,
        "haoluo@...gle.com" <haoluo@...gle.com>,
        Toke Hoiland Jorgensen <toke@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: [xdp-hints] Re: [RFC bpf-next 0/5] xdp: hints via kfuncs

On 01/11/2022 18.05, Martin KaFai Lau wrote:
> On 10/31/22 6:59 PM, Stanislav Fomichev wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 3:57 PM Martin KaFai Lau
>> <martin.lau@...ux.dev> wrote:

>>> Can the xdp_copy_metadata_for_skb be written as a bpf prog itself?
>>> Not sure where is the best point to specify this prog though.
>>> Somehow during
>>> bpf_xdp_redirect_map?
>>> or this prog belongs to the target cpumap and the xdp prog
>>> redirecting to this
>>> cpumap has to write the meta layout in a way that the cpumap is
>>> expecting?
>>
>> We're probably interested in triggering it from the places where xdp
>> frames can eventually be converted into skbs?
>> So for plain 'return XDP_PASS' and things like bpf_redirect/etc? (IOW,
>> anything that's not XDP_DROP / AF_XDP redirect).
>> We can probably make it magically work, and can generate
>> kernel-digestible metadata whenever data == data_meta, but the
>> question - should we?
>> (need to make sure we won't regress any existing cases that are not
>> relying on the metadata)
>
> Instead of having some kernel-digestible meta data, how about calling
> another bpf prog to initialize the skb fields from the meta area after
> __xdp_build_skb_from_frame() in the cpumap, so
> run_xdp_set_skb_fileds_from_metadata() may be a better name.

I very much like this idea of calling another bpf prog to initialize the
SKB fields from the meta area. (As a reminder, data need to come from
meta area, because at this point the hardware RX-desc is out-of-scope).
I'm onboard with xdp_copy_metadata_for_skb() populating the meta area.

We could invoke this BPF-prog inside __xdp_build_skb_from_frame().

We might need a new BPF_PROG_TYPE_XDP2SKB as this new BPF-prog
run_xdp_set_skb_fields_from_metadata() would need both xdp_buff + SKB as
context inputs. Right?  (Not sure, if this is acceptable with the BPF
maintainers new rules)

> The xdp_prog@rx sets the meta data and then redirect.  If the
> xdp_prog@rx can also specify a xdp prog to initialize the skb fields
> from the meta area, then there is no need to have a kfunc to enforce a
> kernel-digestible layout.  Not sure what is a good way to specify this
> xdp_prog though...

The challenge of running this (BPF_PROG_TYPE_XDP2SKB) BPF-prog inside
__xdp_build_skb_from_frame() is that it need to know howto decode the
meta area for every device driver or XDP-prog populating this (as veth
and cpumap can get redirected packets from multiple device drivers).
Sure, using a common function/helper/macro like
xdp_copy_metadata_for_skb() could help reduce this multiplexing, but we
want to have maximum flexibility to extend this without having to update
the kernel, right.

Fortunately __xdp_build_skb_from_frame() have a net_device parameter,
that points to the device is was received on (xdp_frame->dev_rx).
Thus, we could extend net_device and add this BPF-prog on a per
net_device basis.  This could function as a driver BPF-prog callback
that populates the SKB fields from the XDP meta data.
Is this a good or bad idea?

I'm in favor of adding a flag bit to xdp_frame to signal this.
In __xdp_build_skb_from_frame() we could check this flag signal and then
invoke the BPF-prog type BPF_PROG_TYPE_XDP2SKB.

--Jesper