Date:   Thu, 03 Nov 2022 13:48:59 +0100
From:   Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@...hat.com>
To:     Jesper Dangaard Brouer <jbrouer@...hat.com>,
Cc:     brouer@...hat.com, Jesper Dangaard Brouer <jbrouer@...hat.com>,
        "daniel@...earbox.net" <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        "bpf@...r.kernel.org" <bpf@...r.kernel.org>,
        "mtahhan@...hat.com" <mtahhan@...hat.com>,
        "xdp-hints@...-project.net" <xdp-hints@...-project.net>,
        "jolsa@...nel.org" <jolsa@...nel.org>,
        "haoluo@...gle.com" <haoluo@...gle.com>
Subject: Re: [xdp-hints] Re: [RFC bpf-next 0/5] xdp: hints via kfuncs

Jesper Dangaard Brouer <jbrouer@...hat.com> writes:

> On 03/11/2022 01.09, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>> Stanislav Fomichev <sdf@...gle.com> writes:

> IMHO the second BPF program to populate the SKB is needed to add
> flexibility and extensibility.
>
> My end-goal here is to speedup packet parsing.
> This BPF-prog should (in time) be able to update skb->transport_header
> and skb->network_header.  As I mentioned before, HW RX-hash already tell
> us the L3 and L4 protocols and in-most-cases header-len.  Even without
> HW-hints, the XDP-prog likely have parsed the packet once. This parse
> information is lost today, and redone by netstack. What about storing
> this header parse info in meta data and re-use in this new XDP2SKB hook?
>
> The reason for suggesting this BPF-prog to be a callback, associated
> with the net_device, were that HW is going to differ on what HW hints
> that HW support.  Thus, we can avoid a generic C-function that need to
> check for all the possible hints, and instead have a BPF-prog that only
> contains the code that is relevant for this net_device.

But that's exactly what the xdp_copy_metadata_for_skb() is! It's a
dynamic "BPF program" (generated as unrolled kfunc calls) just running
in the helper and stashing the results in an intermediate struct in the
metadata area. And once it's done that, we don't need *another* dynamic
BPF program to read it back out and populate the SKB, because the
intermediate format it's been stashed into is under the control of the
kernel (we just need a flag to indicate that it's there).

>>> +1
>
> Sorry, I think this "hiding" layout trick is going in a wrong direction.
>
> Imagine the use-case of cpumap redirect.  The physical device XDP-prog
> calls xdp_copy_metadata_for_skb() to extract info from RX-desc, then it
> calls redirect into cpumap.  On remote CPU, the xdp_frame is picked up,
> and then I want to run another XDP-prog that want to look at these
> HW-hints, and then likely call XDP_PASS which creates the SKB, also
> using these HW-hints.  I take it, it would not be possible when using
> the xdp_copy_metadata_for_skb() helper?

You're right that it should be possible to read the values back out
again later. That is totally possible with this scheme, though; the
'xdp_to_skb_metadata' is going to be in the vmlinux BTF, so an XDP
program can just read that. We can explicitly support it by using the
BTF ID as the "magic value" as you suggest, which would be fine by me.

I still think we should be using the __randomize_layout trick, though,
precisely so that BPF consumers are forced to use BTF relocations to
read it; otherwise we risk the struct layout ossifying into UAPI because
people are just going to assume it's static...

>>> I'm currently doing exactly what you're suggesting (minus matching skb layout):
>>>
>>> struct xdp_to_skb_metadata {
>>>    u32 magic; // randomized at boot
>>>    ... skb-consumable-metadata in fixed format
>>> } __randomize_layout;
>>>
>>> bpf_xdp_copy_metadata_for_skb() does bpf_xdp_adjust_meta(ctx,
>>> -sizeof(struct xdp_to_skb_metadata)) and then calls a bunch of kfuncs
>>> to fill in the actual data.
>>>
>>> Then, at __xdp_build_skb_from_frame time, I'm having a regular kernel
>>> C code that parses that 'struct xdp_to_skb_metadata'.
>>> (To be precise, I'm trying to parse the metadata from
>>> skb_metadata_set; it's called from __xdp_build_skb_from_frame, but not
>>> 100% sure that's the right place).
>>> (I also randomize the layout and magic to make sure userspace doesn't
>>> depend on it because nothing stops this packet to be routed into xsk
>>> socket..)
>>
>> Ah, nice trick with __randomize_layout - I agree we need to do something
>> to prevent userspace from inadvertently starting to rely on this, and
>> this seems like a great solution!
>
> Sorry, I disagree where this is going.  Why do all of a sudden want to
> prevent userspace (e.g. AF_XDP) from using this data?!?

See above: I don't think we should prevent userspace from using it (and
we're not), but we should prevent the struct layout from ossifying.

> The hole exercise started with wanting to provide AF_XDP with these
> HW-hints. The hints a standard AF_XDP user wants is likely very
> similar to what the SKB user wants. Why do the AF_XDP user need to
> open code this?
>
> The BTF-ID scheme precisely allows us to expose this layout to
> userspace, and at the same time have freedom to change this in kernel
> space, as userspace must decode the BTF-layout before reading this.
> I was hoping xdp_copy_metadata_for_skb() could simply use the BTF-ID
> scheme, with the BTF-ID of struct xdp_hints_rx_common, is to too much to
> ask for?  You can just consider the BTF-ID as the magic number, as it
> will be more-or-less random per kernel build (and module load order).

As mentioned above, I would be totally fine with just having the
xdp_to_skb_metadata be part of BTF, enabling both XDP programs and
AF_XDP consumers to re-use it.

>> Look forward to seeing what the whole thing looks like in a more
>> complete form :)
>
> I'm sort of on-board with the kfuncs and unroll-tricks, if I can see
> some driver code that handles the issues of getting HW setup state
> exposed needed to decode the RX-desc format.
>
> I sense that I myself, haven't been good enough to explain/convey the
> BTF-ID scheme.  Next week, I will code some examples that demo how
> BTF-IDs can be used from BPF-progs, even as a communication channel
> between different BPF-progs (e.g. drv XDP-prog -> cpumap XDP-prog ->
> TC-BPF).

For my part at least, it's not a lack of understanding that makes me
prefer the kfunc approach. Rather, it's the complexity of having to
resolve the multiple BTF IDs, and the risk of ossifying the struct
layouts because people are going to do that wrong. Using kfuncs gives us
much more control of the API, especially if we combine it with struct
randomisation for the bits we do expose.

Translating what we've discussed above into the terms used in your patch
series, this would correspond to *only* having the xdp_metadata_common
struct exposed via BTF, and not bothering with all the other
driver-specific layouts. So an XDP/AF_XDP user that only wants to use
the metadata that's also used by the stack can just call
xdp_copy_metadata_for_skb(), and then read the resulting metadata area
(using BTF). And if someone wants to access metadata that's *not* used
by the stack, they'd have to call additional kfuncs to extract that.

And similarly, if someone wants only a subset of the metadata used by an
SKB, they can just *not* call xdp_copy_metadata_for_skb(), and instead
just call the individual kfuncs to extract just the fields they want.

I think this strikes a nice balance between the flexibility by the
kernel to change things, the flexibility of XDP consumers to request
only the data they want, and the ability for the same metadata to be
consumed at different points. WDYT?

-Toke