Date:   Thu, 10 Nov 2022 11:42:35 -0800
From:   John Ousterhout <ouster@...stanford.edu>
To:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Upstream Homa?

Several people at the netdev conference asked me if I was working to
upstream the Homa transport protocol into the kernel. I have assumed
that this is premature, given that there is not yet significant usage of
Homa, but they encouraged me to start a discussion about upstreaming
with the netdev community.

So, I'm sending this message to ask for advice about (a) what state
Homa needs to reach before it would be appropriate to upstream it,
and, (b) if/when that time is reached, what is the right way to go about it.
Homa currently has about 13K lines of code, which I assume is far too
large for a single patch set; at the same time, it's hard to envision a
manageable first patch set with enough functionality to be useful by itself.

-John-