Date:   Fri, 11 Nov 2022 00:14:15 +0100
From:   Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@...hat.com>
To:     Stanislav Fomichev <sdf@...gle.com>
Cc:     Martin KaFai Lau <martin.lau@...ux.dev>, ast@...nel.org,
        daniel@...earbox.net, andrii@...nel.org, song@...nel.org,
        yhs@...com, john.fastabend@...il.com, kpsingh@...nel.org,
        haoluo@...gle.com, jolsa@...nel.org,
        David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
        Willem de Bruijn <willemb@...gle.com>,
        Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>,
        Anatoly Burakov <anatoly.burakov@...el.com>,
        Alexander Lobakin <alexandr.lobakin@...el.com>,
        Magnus Karlsson <magnus.karlsson@...il.com>,
        Maryam Tahhan <mtahhan@...hat.com>, xdp-hints@...-project.net,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org, bpf@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [xdp-hints] Re: [RFC bpf-next v2 06/14] xdp: Carry over xdp
 metadata into skb context

Skipping to the last bit:

>> > Agreed on all of the above. For now it seems like the safest thing to
>> > do is to put xdp_to_skb_metadata last to allow af_xdp to properly
>> > locate btf_id.
>> > Let's see if Toke disagrees :-)
>>
>> As I replied to Martin, I'm not sure it's worth the complexity to
>> logically split the SKB metadata from the program's own metadata (as
>> opposed to just reusing the existing data_meta pointer)?
>
> I'd gladly keep my current requirement where it's either or, but not both :-)
> We can relax it later if required?

So the way I've been thinking about it is simply that the skb_metadata
would live in the same place at the data_meta pointer (including
adjusting that pointer to accommodate it), and just overriding the
existing program metadata, if any exists. But looking at it now, I guess
having the split makes it easier for a program to write its own custom
metadata and still use the skb metadata. See below about the ordering.

>> However, if we do, the layout that makes most sense to me is putting the
>> skb metadata before the program metadata, like:
>>
>> --------------
>> | skb_metadata
>> --------------
>> | data_meta
>> --------------
>> | data
>> --------------
>>
>> Not sure if that's what you meant? :)
>
> I was suggesting the other way around: |custom meta|skb_metadata|data|
> (but, as Martin points out, consuming skb_metadata in the kernel
> becomes messier)
>
> af_xdp can check whether skb_metdata is present by looking at data -
> offsetof(struct skb_metadata, btf_id).
> progs that know how to handle custom metadata, will look at data -
> sizeof(skb_metadata)
>
> Otherwise, if it's the other way around, how do we find skb_metadata
> in a redirected frame?
> Let's say we have |skb_metadata|custom meta|data|, how does the final
> program find skb_metadata?
> All the progs have to agree on the sizeof(tc/custom meta), right?

Erm, maybe I'm missing something here, but skb_metadata is fixed size,
right? So if the "skb_metadata is present" flag is set, we know that the
sizeof(skb_metadata) bytes before the data_meta pointer contains the
metadata, and if the flag is not set, we know those bytes are not valid
metadata.

For AF_XDP, we'd need to transfer the flag as well, and it could apply
the same logic (getting the size from the vmlinux BTF).

By this logic, the BTF_ID should be the *first* entry of struct
skb_metadata, since that will be the field AF_XDP programs can find
right off the bat, no?

-Toke