Date:   Mon, 14 Nov 2022 08:51:41 -0800
From:   Yonghong Song <yhs@...a.com>
To:     John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>, hawk@...nel.org,
        daniel@...earbox.net, kuba@...nel.org, davem@...emloft.net,
        ast@...nel.org
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, bpf@...r.kernel.org, sdf@...gle.com
Subject: Re: [1/2 bpf-next] bpf: expose net_device from xdp for metadata

On 11/13/22 10:27 AM, John Fastabend wrote:
> Yonghong Song wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Related I think. We also want to get kernel variable net_namespace_list,
>>> this points to the network namespace lists. Based on above should
>>> we do something like,
>>>
>>>     void *bpf_get_kern_var(enum var_id);
>>>
>>> then,
>>>
>>>     net_ns_list = bpf_get_kern_var(__btf_net_namesapce_list);
>>>
>>> would get us a ptr to the list? The other thought was to put it in the
>>> xdp_md but from above seems better idea to get it through helper.
>>
>> Sounds great. I guess my new proposed bpf_get_kern_btf_id() kfunc could
>> cover such a use case as well.
>
> Yes I think this should be good. The only catch is that we need to
> get the kernel global var pointer net_namespace_list.

Currently, the kernel supports percpu variable, but
not other global var like net_namespace_list. Currently, there is
an effort to add global var to BTF:

https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/20221104231103.752040-1-stephen.s.brennan@oracle.com/

> Then we can write iterators on network namespaces and net_devices
> without having to do anything else. The usecase is to iterate
> the network namespace and collect some subset of netdevices. Populate
> a map with these and then keep it in sync from XDP with stats. We
> already hook create/destroy paths so have built up maps that track
> this and have some XDP stats but not everything we would want.

the net_namespace_list is defined as:
   struct list_head net_namespace_list;
So it is still difficult to iterate with bpf program. But we
could have a bpf_iter (similar to task, task_file, etc.)
for net namespaces and it can provide enough context
for the bpf program for each namespace to satisfy your
above need.

You can also with a bounded loop to traverse net_namespace_list
in the bpf program, but it may incur complicated codes...

> The other piece I would like to get out of the xdp ctx is the
> rx descriptor of the device. I want to use this to pull out info
> about the received buffer for debug mostly, but could also grab
> some fields that are useful for us to track. That we can likely
> do this,
>
>    ctx->rxdesc

I think it is possible. Adding rxdesc to xdp_buff as
     unsigned char *rxdesc;
or
     void *rxdesc;

and using bpf_get_kern_btf_id(kctx->rxdesc, expected_btf_id)
to get a btf id for rxdesc. Here we assume there is
a struct available for rxdesc in vmlinux.h.
Then you can trace through rxdesc with direct memory
access.

I have a RFC patch
   https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/20221114162328.622665-1-yhs@fb.com/
please help take a look.