Date:   Tue, 22 Nov 2022 17:59:04 +0000
From:   "Michael Kelley (LINUX)" <mikelley@...rosoft.com>
To:     Sathyanarayanan Kuppuswamy
        "x86@...nel.org" <x86@...nel.org>,
        "linux-hyperv@...r.kernel.org" <linux-hyperv@...r.kernel.org>,
        "linux-pci@...r.kernel.org" <linux-pci@...r.kernel.org>,
        "linux-arch@...r.kernel.org" <linux-arch@...r.kernel.org>,
        "iommu@...ts.linux.dev" <iommu@...ts.linux.dev>
Subject: RE: [Patch v3 05/14] x86/mm: Handle decryption/re-encryption of
 bss_decrypted consistently

From: Sathyanarayanan Kuppuswamy <sathyanarayanan.kuppuswamy@...ux.intel.com>

> On 11/21/22 6:39 AM, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 18, 2022 at 02:55:32AM +0000, Michael Kelley (LINUX) wrote:
> >> But I had not thought about TDX.  In the TDX case, it appears that
> >> sme_postprocess_startup() will not decrypt the bss_decrypted section.
> >> The corresponding mem_encrypt_free_decrypted_mem() is a no-op unless
> >> CONFIG_AMD_MEM_ENCRYPT is set.  But maybe if someone builds a
> >> kernel image that supports both TDX and AMD encryption, it could break
> >
> > sme_me_mask better be 0 on a kernel with both built in and running as a
> > TDX guest.
> >

> Yes. It will be 0 in TDX. In sme_enable(), AMD code checks for CPUID
> support before updating the sme_me_mask.

Right.  But here's my point:  With current code and an image built with
CONFIG_AMD_MEM_ENCRYPT=y and running as a TDX guest,
sme_postprocess_startup() will not decrypt the bss_decrypted section.
Then later mem_encrypt_free_decrypted_mem() will run, see that
CC_ATTR_MEM_ENCRYPT is true, and try to re-encrypt the memory.
In other words, a TDX guest would break in the same way as a Hyper-V
vTOM guest would break.  This patch fixes the problem for both cases.

The only things I see in the bss_decrypted section are two clock structures
In arch/x86/kernel/kvmclock.c, which aren't needed when Hyper-V is the
hypervisor.  But with a TDX guest on KVM, will *not* decrypting the
bss_decrypted section be a problem?  I don't know that kvmclock
code or why the two clock structures need to be decrypted for
AMD mem encryption.

Michael