Date:   Tue, 6 Dec 2022 11:02:07 -0800
From:   Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>
To:     "netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: driver reviewer rotation

Hi!

As some of you may have noticed we have restarted a structured reviewer
rotation. There should be an uptick in the number of reviews when you
post patches.

Here is some details, and background info.

The majority of submissions we get are for drivers. We have tried
to create a driver review rotation a while back, to increase the
review coverage, but it fizzled out. We're taking a second go at it.

The new rotation is limited in length (4 weeks) and focused on
involving NIC teams (nVidia, Intel, Broadcom, plus Meta/FB to make
it 4), rather than particular individuals. I picked the NIC vendors
for multiple reasons - with small exceptions they send more patches
than they review. Secondly they have rather large teams, which makes
it easier to create a stable rotation - employees from the same org
can load balance and cover for each other. Last but not least, I have
a possibly unfounded belief, that in a vendor setting the additional
structure of a review rotation is doubly beneficial as "organized
efforts" are usually easier to justify to corporate overlords.

Please feel free to reach out if you'd like to also be a part of
a review rotation. We can start a second circle or double up one of
the shifts... we'll figure something out. Also please reach out with
any comments / concerns / feedback.

FWIW any "corporate involvement" in the community makes me feel uneasy
(and I hope that other community members share this feeling).
So please don't view this as any form of corporate collusion or giving
companies themselves influence. This is also not an indictment against
the community members who are already investing their time in reviewing
code, and making this project work...

HTH