Date:   Fri, 16 Dec 2022 11:05:19 +0100
From:   Magnus Karlsson <magnus.karlsson@...il.com>
To:     Shawn Bohrer <sbohrer@...udflare.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, bpf@...r.kernel.org, bjorn@...nel.org,
        magnus.karlsson@...el.com, kernel-team@...udflare.com
Subject: Re: Possible race with xsk_flush

On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 1:15 AM Shawn Bohrer <sbohrer@...udflare.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > race like this. Another option is that one of the CPUs should really
> > process another fill ring instead of the same.
> >
> > Do you see the second socket being worked on when this happens?
> >
> > Could you please share how you set up the two AF_XDP sockets?
>
> Alex Forster sent more details on the configuration but just to
> reiterate there are actually 8 AF_XDP sockets in this test setup.
> There are two veth interfaces and each interface has four receive
> queues.  We create one socket per interface/queue pair.  Our XDP
> program redirects each packet to the correct AF_XDP socket based on
> the queue number.
>
> Yes there is often activity on other sockets near the time when the
> bug occurs.  This is why I'm printing xs/fq, the socket address and
> fill queue address, and printing the ingress/egress device name and
> queue number in my prints.  This allows to match up the user space and
> kernel space prints.  Additionally we are using a shared UMEM so
> descriptors could move around between sockets though I've tried to
> minimize this and in every case I've seen so far the mystery
> descriptor was last used on the same socket and has also been in the
> fill queue just not next in line.
>
> > Are you using XDP_DRV mode in your tests?
> >
> > > A couple more notes:
> > > * The ftrace print order and timestamps seem to indicate that the CPU
> > >   2 napi_poll is running before the CPU 0 xsk_flush().  I don't know
> > >   if these timestamps can be trusted but it does imply that maybe this
> > >   can race as I described.  I've triggered this twice with xsk_flush
> > >   probes and both show the order above.
> > > * In the 3 times I've triggered this it has occurred right when the
> > >   softirq processing switches CPUs
> >
> > This is interesting. Could you check, in some way, if you only have
> > one core working on the fill ring before the softirq switching and
> > then after that you have two? And if you have two, is that period
> > transient?
>
> I think what you are asking is why does the softirq processing switch
> CPUs?  There is still a lot I don't fully understand here but I've
> tried to understand this, if only to try to make it happen more
> frequently and make this easier to reproduce.
>
> In this test setup there is no hardware IRQ.  iperf2 sends the packet
> and the CPU where iperf is running runs the veth softirq.  I'm not
> sure how it picks which veth receive queue receives the packets, but
> they end up distributed across the veth qeueus.  Additionally
> __veth_xdp_flush() calls __napi_schedule().  This is called from
> veth_xdp_xmit() which I think means that transmitting packets from
> AF_XDP also schedules the softirq on the current CPU for that veth
> queue.  What I definitely see is that if I pin both iperf and my
> application to a single CPU all softirqs of all queues run on that
> single CPU.  If I pin iperf2 to one core and my application to another
> core I get softirqs for all veth queues on both cores.

To summarize, we are expecting this ordering:

CPU 0 __xsk_rcv_zc()
CPU 0 __xsk_map_flush()
CPU 2 __xsk_rcv_zc()
CPU 2 __xsk_map_flush()

But we are seeing this order:

CPU 0 __xsk_rcv_zc()
CPU 2 __xsk_rcv_zc()
CPU 0 __xsk_map_flush()
CPU 2 __xsk_map_flush()

Here is the veth NAPI poll loop:

static int veth_poll(struct napi_struct *napi, int budget)
{
    struct veth_rq *rq =
    container_of(napi, struct veth_rq, xdp_napi);
    struct veth_stats stats = {};
    struct veth_xdp_tx_bq bq;
    int done;

    bq.count = 0;

    xdp_set_return_frame_no_direct();
    done = veth_xdp_rcv(rq, budget, &bq, &stats);

    if (done < budget && napi_complete_done(napi, done)) {
        /* Write rx_notify_masked before reading ptr_ring */
       smp_store_mb(rq->rx_notify_masked, false);
       if (unlikely(!__ptr_ring_empty(&rq->xdp_ring))) {
           if (napi_schedule_prep(&rq->xdp_napi)) {
               WRITE_ONCE(rq->rx_notify_masked, true);
               __napi_schedule(&rq->xdp_napi);
            }
        }
    }

    if (stats.xdp_tx > 0)
        veth_xdp_flush(rq, &bq);
    if (stats.xdp_redirect > 0)
        xdp_do_flush();
    xdp_clear_return_frame_no_direct();

    return done;
}

Something I have never seen before is that there is
napi_complete_done() and a __napi_schedule() before xdp_do_flush().
Let us check if this has something to do with it. So two suggestions
to be executed separately:

* Put a probe at the __napi_schedule() above and check if it gets
triggered before this problem
* Move the "if (stats.xdp_redirect > 0) xdp_do_flush();" to just
before "if (done < budget && napi_complete_done(napi, done)) {"

This might provide us some hints on what is going on.

Thanks: Magnus