Date:   Thu, 12 Jan 2023 11:17:07 +0200
From:   Gal Pressman <gal@...dia.com>
To:     Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>, Saeed Mahameed <saeed@...nel.org>
Cc:     "David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com>,
        Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,
        Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@...dia.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        Tariq Toukan <tariqt@...dia.com>
Subject: Re: [net-next 08/15] net/mlx5e: Add hairpin debugfs files

On 12/01/2023 5:46, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2023 15:01:31 -0800 Saeed Mahameed wrote:
>> Sorry i don't have much details here, Maybe Gal can chime in..
>> but what i am sure of is changing the hairpin RQ/SQ configs comes
>> with a risk.
>
> Would be great if someone could chime in..

Hey,
As Saeed said, we discussed different APIs for this, debugfs seemed like
the best fit as we don't want users to change the queues parameters for
production purposes. Debugfs makes it clear that these params aren't for
your ordinary use, and allows us to be more flexible over time if needed
(we don't necessarily have to keep these files there forever, if our
hardware implementation changes for example).

Devlink param would work, but the message conveyed is a bit different
:). It makes it seem like this is a knob we want people to play with.
(And we have to support it forever).