Date:   Tue, 17 Jan 2023 17:10:58 -0700
From:   Kyle Zeng <zengyhkyle@...il.com>
To:     Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@...atatu.com>
Cc:     shaozhengchao <shaozhengchao@...wei.com>,
        David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Sasha Levin <sashal@...nel.org>,
        Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>,
        Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
        Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,
        Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com>,
        Davide Caratti <dcaratti@...hat.com>,
        Marcelo Ricardo Leitner <marcelo.leitner@...il.com>,
        Linux Kernel Network Developers <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Question: Patch:("net: sched: cbq: dont intepret cls results when
 asked to drop") may be not bug for branch LTS 5.10

Hi Zhengchao,

I'm the finder of the vulnerability. In my initial report, there was a
more detailed explanation of why this bug happened. But it got left
out in the commit message.
So, I'll explain it here and see whether people want to patch the
actual root cause of the crash.

The underlying bug that this patch was trying to address is actually
in `__tcf_classify`. Notice that `struct tcf_result` is actually a
union type, so whenever the kernel sets res.goto_tp, it also sets
res.class. And this can happen inside `tcf_action_goto_chain_exec`. In
other words, `tcf_action_goto_chain_exec` will set res.class. Notice
that goto_chain can point back to itself, which causes an infinite
loop. To avoid the infinite loop situation, `__tcf_classify` checks
how many times the loop has been executed
(https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v6.1/source/net/sched/cls_api.c#L1586),
if it is more than a specific number, it will mark the result as
TC_ACT_SHOT and then return:

if (unlikely(limit++ >= max_reclassify_loop)) {
    return TC_ACT_SHOT;
}

However, when it returns in the infinite loop handler, it forgets to
clear whatever is in the `res` variable, which still holds pointers in
`goto_tp`. As a result, cbq_classify will think it is a valid
`res.class` and causes type confusion.

My initial proposed patch was to memset `res` before `return
TC_ACT_SHOT` in `__tcf_classify`, but it didn't get merged. But I
guess the merged patch is more generic.

BTW, I'm not sure whether it is a bug or it is intended in the merged
patch for this bug: moving `return NULL` statement in `cbq_classify`
results in a behavior change that is not documented anywhere:
previously, packets that return TC_ACT_QUEUED, TC_ACT_STOLEN, and
TC_ACT_TRAP will eventually return NULL, but now they will be passed
into `cbq_reclassify`. Is this expected?

Best,
Kyle Zeng