Date:   Fri, 3 Feb 2023 09:09:16 +0000
From:   Martin Habets <habetsm.xilinx@...il.com>
To:     Íñigo Huguet <ihuguet@...hat.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, richardcochran@...il.com,
        yangbo.lu@....com, mlichvar@...hat.com,
        gerhard@...leder-embedded.com, ecree.xilinx@...il.com,
        davem@...emloft.net, edumazet@...gle.com, kuba@...nel.org,
        pabeni@...hat.com, alex.maftei@....com
Subject: Re: PTP vclock: BUG: scheduling while atomic

On Thu, Feb 02, 2023 at 05:02:07PM +0100, Íñigo Huguet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Our QA team was testing PTP vclocks, and they've found this error with sfc NIC/driver:
>   BUG: scheduling while atomic: ptp5/25223/0x00000002
>
> The reason seems to be that vclocks disable interrupts with `spin_lock_irqsave` in
> `ptp_vclock_gettime`, and then read the timecounter, which in turns ends calling to
> the driver's `gettime64` callback.
>
> Vclock framework was added in commit 5d43f951b1ac ("ptp: add ptp virtual clock driver
> framework").

Looking at that commit we'll face the same spinlock issue in
ptp_vclock_adjfine and ptp_vclock_adjtime.

> At first glance, it seems that vclock framework is reusing the already existing callbacks
> of the drivers' ptp clocks, but it's imposing a new limitation that didn't exist before:
> now they can't sleep (due the spin_lock_irqsave). Sfc driver might sleep waiting for the
> fw response.
>
> Sfc driver can be fixed to avoid this issue, but I wonder if something might not be
> correct in the vclock framework. I don't have enough knowledge about how clocks
> synchronization should work regarding this, so I leave it to your consideration.

If the timer hardware is local to the CPU core a spinlock could work.
But if it global across CPUs, or like in our case remote behind a PCI bus,
using a spinlock is too much of a restriction.
I also wonder why the spinlock was used, and if that limitation can be
reduced.

Martin