Date:   Thu, 23 Feb 2023 21:48:38 +0000
From:   <Ajay.Kathat@...rochip.com>
To:     <heiko.thiery@...il.com>, <johannes@...solutions.net>
CC:     <dcbw@...hat.com>, <kvalo@...nel.org>, <michael@...le.cc>,
        <kuba@...nel.org>, <Claudiu.Beznea@...rochip.com>,
        <linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org>, <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        <Amisha.Patel@...rochip.com>, <thaller@...hat.com>,
        <bgalvani@...hat.com>, <Sripad.Balwadgi@...rochip.com>
Subject: Re: wilc1000 MAC address is 00:00:00:00:00:00

Hi Heiko,

On 2/23/23 03:44, Heiko Thiery wrote:
> EXTERNAL EMAIL: Do not click links or open attachments unless you know the content is safe
>
> Hi Ajay,
>
> Am Mi., 15. Feb. 2023 um 21:14 Uhr schrieb Johannes Berg
> <johannes@...solutions.net>:

>>> So... initialize the MAC layer and read the address, then stop the card
>>> until dev open which reloads and reinits? That's what eg Atmel does
>>
>> For a more modern example, iwlwifi also ;-)
>>
>> You should also load the firmware async, so it becomes:
>>
>> probe
>>  -> load firmware
>>
>> firmware success callback
>>  - boot device
>>  - read information
>>  - register with mac80211
>>  - shut down device
>>
>> mac80211 start callback
>>  - boot device again
>>  - etc.
>
> Do you have a meaning about that? That sounds like a viable solution.
> What do you think?

Yeah, loading the firmware async approach looks good but wilc
init/deinit states are coupled with mac_open/mac_close so it would need
some restructuring.

Firstly, I am checking on reading the MAC address register by just
bringing the SDIO bus interface up so, there is no need to fetch it
using WID's command, which is only available from the firmware. I think
it is possible but I need to check more.

If the first approach didn't work, then I am going to try loading the
firmware in probe as suggested before.

Regards,
Ajay