Date:   Sat, 25 Mar 2023 14:16:55 +0200
From:   Vladimir Oltean <olteanv@...il.com>
To:     Russell King <linux@...linux.org.uk>
Cc:     Vladimir Oltean <vladimir.oltean@....com>,
        Oleksij Rempel <o.rempel@...gutronix.de>,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org, Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>,
        Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>,
        Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
        Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com>,
        Woojung Huh <woojung.huh@...rochip.com>,
        UNGLinuxDriver@...rochip.com,
        Arun Ramadoss <arun.ramadoss@...rochip.com>,
        Marek Vasut <marex@...x.de>,
        Oleksij Rempel <linux@...pel-privat.de>,
        Michael Grzeschik <m.grzeschik@...gutronix.de>,
        Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings@...d.be>,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC/RFT PATCH net-next 2/4] net: dsa: microchip: partial
 conversion to regfields API for KSZ8795 (WIP)

On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 04:07:22PM +0200, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 02:21:40PM +0100, Oleksij Rempel wrote:
> > If you'll give up, may be i'll be able to take it over.
>
> I have not given up yet, I just need someone to run a few tests on KSZ8795.

Seeing that the first line of people (able to test on KSZ8795) has no
opinion, maybe it's time to turn to the second line of people.

Russell, you've expressed that this driver is "vile" for permitting
access to the same hardware register through 2 different ksz8795_regs[]
elements. Does the approach used in this patch set address your concerns,
or in other words, do you believe is it worth extending the conversion
to the KSZ switches that other people can test, such that the entire
driver ultimately benefits from the conversion?