Date:   Sat, 15 Apr 2023 10:53:10 +0300
From:   Arınç ÜNAL <arinc.unal@...nc9.com>
To:     Daniel Golle <daniel@...rotopia.org>
Cc:     Vladimir Oltean <olteanv@...il.com>,
        Frank Wunderlich <frank-w@...lic-files.de>,
        netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, erkin.bozoglu@...ont.com
Subject: Re: mt7530: dsa_switch_parse_of() fails, causes probe code to run
 twice

On 15.04.2023 03:52, Daniel Golle wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 15, 2023 at 03:28:55AM +0300, Arınç ÜNAL wrote:

>>> So dsa_switch_parse_of() can return -EPROBE_DEFER if the ethernet
>>> driver responsible for the CPU port has not yet been loaded.
>>>
>>> See net/dsa/dsa.c (inside function dsa_port_parse_of):
>>> [...]
>>> 1232)                master = of_find_net_device_by_node(ethernet);
>>> 1233)                of_node_put(ethernet);
>>> 1234)                if (!master)
>>> 1235)                        return -EPROBE_DEFER;
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Hence it would be important to include the value of 'err' in your
>>> debugging printf output, as -EPROBE_DEFER can be an expected and
>>> implicitely intended reality and nothing is wrong then.
>>
>> Thanks Daniel. I can't do more tests soon but this is probably what's going
>> on as the logs already indicate that the MediaTek ethernet driver was yet to
>> load.
>>
>> As acknowledged, since running the MT7530 DSA subdriver from scratch is
>> expected if the ethernet driver is not loaded yet, there's not really a
>> problem. Though the switch is reset twice in a short amount of time. I don't
>> think that's very great.
>
> That's true, and we should try to avoid that.
>

>> The driver initialisation seems serialised (at least for the drivers built
>> into the kernel) as I tried sleeping for 5 seconds on mt7530_probe() but no
>> other driver was loaded in the meantime so I got the same behaviour.
>>
>> The regulator code will cause a long and nasty exception the first time.
>> Though there's nothing wrong as it does what it's supposed to do on the
>> second run. I'm not sure if that's negligible.
>>
>> Could we at least somehow make the MT7530 DSA subdriver wait until the
>> regulator driver is loaded?
>
> I assume the regulator-related stackdump is unrelated, but caused by
> cpufreq changes, which had now been fixed by commit 0883426fd07e
> ("cpufreq: mediatek: Raise proc and sram max voltage for MT7622/7623").
>
> If you are using v6.3-rc6 this commit is still missing there, but
> manually picking it from linux-next should fix it.

I did one better and just did the test on the current linux-next, I get
exceptions that seem to be identical. I also made sure this commit was
actually there.

> Let me know if I can help with testing on my farm of MediaTek boards.
> I'm a bit nervous about fixing MT7531BE soon, so deciding if we move
> PLL activation to mt7530_probe() would be essential as it makes the
> fix much easier...

Can you test this branch on MT7531AE, MT7531BE and the switch on MT7988
SoC? I just need to complete the patch logs, the code won't change much.

https://github.com/arinc9/linux/commits/for-netnext

I'm thinking if we can -EPROBE_DEFER right at the start of
mt7530_probe(), it should prevent the reset code from running twice, and
enabling the regulator will run without any exceptions.

I think I can just keep enabling the regulator on mt7530_setup() if I
can't figure that out. On MT7623NI, the switch stops working after 35
seconds with these logs. As long as the regulator is enabled before
this, everything keeps working.

[   35.037200] vusb: disabling
[   35.040089] vmc: disabling
[   35.042856] vmch: disabling