Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 09:23:52 +0200
From: Pim van Pelt <pim@...g.nl>
To: netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Showing NLM_F_REPLACE in ipmonitor.c

Hoi folks,

I'm a developer over at fd.io's vector packet processer, and
contributed a netlink controlplane listener there back in 2021. I was
debugging an issue between Bird2 and VPP with respect to netlink
messages that sometimes are create and sometimes are replace
(NLM_F_REPLACE), and noticed that ipmonitor.c does not make the
distinction between the two. Context in [1].

I thought it would be useful to signal replace in the following diff
[2], possibly for route, neighbor and nexthop messages, as they
commonly mix NLM_F_CREATE with NLM_F_REPLACE. Would adding (something
like) this be possible, so observers can tell the difference between
the two ?

groet,
Pim

[1] https://lists.fd.io/g/vpp-dev/message/23054 and