Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 09:10:59 +0100
From: Ben Dooks <ben.dooks@...ethink.co.uk>
To: Nicolas Ferre <nicolas.ferre@...rochip.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
 pabeni@...hat.com, kuba@...nel.org, edumazet@...gle.com, davem@...emloft.net
Cc: linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, claudiu.beznea@...rochip.com
Subject: Re: net: macb: sparse warning fixes

On 23/06/2023 14:16, Nicolas Ferre wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> On 22/06/2023 at 15:05, Ben Dooks wrote:
>> These are 3 hopefully easy patches for fixing sparse errors due to
>> endian-ness warnings. There are still some left, but there are not
>> as easy as they mix host and network fields together.
>>
>> For example, gem_prog_cmp_regs() has two u32 variables that it does
>> bitfield manipulation on for the tcp ports and these are __be16 into
>> u32, so not sure how these are meant to be changed. I've also no hardware
>> to test on, so even if these did get changed then I can't check if it is
>> working pre/post change.
>
> Do you know if there could be any impact on performance (even if limited)?

There shouldn't be, these are either constants so should be compile time
sorted or they are just using the swap code the wrong way round... same
values, just the wrong endian markers going in/out.

The only device with a macb I've got is an unmatched, so don't even know
if I can test any of this.

The filter code I would like to get some feedback on, as I didn't want
to do any modifications without being able to test.

--
Ben Dooks				http://www.codethink.co.uk/
Senior Engineer				Codethink - Providing Genius

https://www.codethink.co.uk/privacy.html