Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:08:38 -0700
From: Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>
To: Jesper Dangaard Brouer <jbrouer@...hat.com>
Cc: netdev@...r.kernel.org, brouer@...hat.com, almasrymina@...gle.com,
 hawk@...nel.org, ilias.apalodimas@...aro.org, edumazet@...gle.com,
 dsahern@...il.com, michael.chan@...adcom.com, willemb@...gle.com
Subject: Re: [RFC 00/12] net: huge page backed page_pool

On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:49:19 +0200 Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
> I see you have discovered that the next bottleneck are the IOTLB misses.
> One of the techniques for reducing IOTLB misses is using huge pages.
> Called "super-pages" in article (below), and they report that this trick
> doesn't work on AMD (Pacifica arch).
>
> I think you have convinced me that the pp_provider idea makes sense for
> *this* use-case, because it feels like natural to extend PP with
> mitigations for IOTLB misses. (But I'm not 100% sure it fits Mina's
> use-case).

We're on the same page then (no pun intended).

> What is your page refcnt strategy for these huge-pages. I assume this
> rely on PP frags-scheme, e.g. using page->pp_frag_count.
> Is this correctly understood?

Oh, I split the page into individual 4k pages after DMA mapping.
There's no need for the host memory to be a huge page. I mean,
the actual kernel identity mapping is a huge page AFAIU, and the
struct pages are allocated, anyway. We just need it to be a huge
page at DMA mapping time.

So the pages from the huge page provider only differ from normal
alloc_page() pages by the fact that they are a part of a 1G DMA
mapping.

I'm talking mostly about the 1G provider, 2M providers can be
implemented using various strategies cause 2M is smaller than
MAX_ORDER.

> Generally the pp_provider's will have to use the refcnt schemes
> supported by page_pool.  (Which is why I'm not 100% sure this fits
> Mina's use-case).
>
> [IOTLB details]:
>
> As mentioned on [RFC 08/12] there are other techniques for reducing
> IOTLB misses, described in:
>   IOMMU: Strategies for Mitigating the IOTLB Bottleneck
>    - https://inria.hal.science/inria-00493752/document
>
> I took a deeper look at also discovered Intel's documentation:
>   - Intel virtualization technology for directed I/O, arch spec
>   -
> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/content-details/774206/intel-virtualization-technology-for-directed-i-o-architecture-specification.html
>
> One problem that is interesting to notice is how NICs access the packets
> via ring-queue, which is likely larger that number of IOTLB entries.
> Thus, a high change of IOTLB misses.  They suggest marking pages with
> Eviction Hints (EH) that cause pages to be marked as Transient Mappings
> (TM) which allows IOMMU to evict these faster (making room for others).
> And then combine this with prefetching.

Interesting, didn't know about EH.

> In this context of how fast a page is reused by NIC and spatial
> locality, it is worth remembering that PP have two schemes, (1) the fast
> alloc cache that in certain cases can recycle pages (and it based on a
> stack approach), (2) normal recycling via the ptr_ring that will have a
> longer time before page gets reused.

I read somewhere that Intel IOTLB can be as small as 256 entries.
So it seems pretty much impossible for it to cache accesses to 4k
pages thru recycling. I thought that even 2M pages will start to
be problematic for multi queue devices (1k entries on each ring x
32 rings == 128MB just sitting on the ring, let alone circulation).