Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:47:09 +0200
From: Matthieu Baerts <matthieu.baerts@...sares.net>
To: Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@...atatu.com>, Cong Wang
 <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>, Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
Cc: netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, Anders Roxell <anders.roxell@...aro.org>
Subject: TC: selftests: current timeout (45s) is too low

Hi Jamal, Cong, Jiri,

When looking for something else [1] in LKFT reports [2], I noticed that
the TC selftest ended with a timeout error:

  not ok 1 selftests: tc-testing: tdc.sh # TIMEOUT 45 seconds

The timeout has been introduced 3 years ago:

  852c8cbf34d3 ("selftests/kselftest/runner.sh: Add 45 second timeout
per test")

Recently, a new option has been introduced to override the value when
executing the code:

  f6a01213e3f8 ("selftests: allow runners to override the timeout")

But I guess it is still better to set a higher default value for TC
tests. This is easy to fix by simply adding "timeout=<seconds>" in a
"settings" file in 'tc-testing' directory, e.g.

  echo timeout=1200 > tools/testing/selftests/tc-testing/settings

I'm sending this email instead of a patch because I don't know which
value makes sense. I guess you know how long the tests can take in a
(very) slow environment and you might want to avoid this timeout error.

I also noticed most of the tests were skipped [2], probably because
something is missing in the test environment? Do not hesitate to contact
the lkft team [3], that's certainly easy to fix and it would increase
the TC test coverage when they are validating all the different kernel
versions :)

Cheers,
Matt

[1] The impact of https://github.com/Linaro/test-definitions/pull/446
[2]
https://qa-reports.linaro.org/lkft/linux-next-master/build/next-20230711/testrun/18267241/suite/kselftest-tc-testing/test/tc-testing_tdc_sh/log
[3] lkft@...aro.org
--
Tessares | Belgium | Hybrid Access Solutions
www.tessares.net