Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 20:24:24 +0200
From: Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>
To: Stanislav Fomichev <sdf@...gle.com>
Cc: Maciej Żenczykowski <maze@...gle.com>,
	Linux NetDev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>,
	Pengtao He <hepengtao@...omi.com>, Willem Bruijn <willemb@...gle.com>, Xiao Ma <xiaom@...gle.com>,
	Patrick Rohr <prohr@...gle.com>, Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: Performance question: af_packet with bpf filter vs TX path skb_clone

On Fri, Jul 21, 2023 at 8:18 PM Stanislav Fomichev <sdf@...gle.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 21, 2023 at 11:14 AM Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 21, 2023 at 7:55 PM Maciej Żenczykowski <maze@...gle.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I've been asked to review:
> > >   https://android-review.googlesource.com/c/platform/packages/modules/NetworkStack/+/2648779
> > >
> > > where it comes to light that in Android due to background debugging of
> > > connectivity problems
> > > (of which there are *plenty* due to various types of buggy [primarily]
> > > wifi networks)
> > > we have a permanent AF_PACKET, ETH_P_ALL socket with a cBPF filter:
> > >
> > >    arp or (ip and udp port 68) or (icmp6 and ip6[40] >= 133 and ip6[40] <= 136)
> > >
> > > ie. it catches ARP, IPv4 DHCP and IPv6 ND (NS/NA/RS/RA)
> > >
> > > If I'm reading the kernel code right this appears to cause skb_clone()
> > > to be called on *every* outgoing packet,
> > > even though most packets will not be accepted by the filter.
> > >
> > > (In the TX path the filter appears to get called *after* the clone,
> > > I think that's unlike the RX path where the filter is called first)
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to eliminate the
> > > functionality this socket provides.
> > > We need to be able to log RX & TX of ARP/DHCP/ND for debugging /
> > > bugreports / etc.
> > > and they *really* should be in order wrt. to each other.
> > > (and yeah, that means last few minutes history when an issue happens,
> > > so not possible to simply enable it on demand)
> > >
> > > We could of course split the socket into 3 separate ones:
> > > - ETH_P_ARP
> > > - ETH_P_IP + cbpf udp dport=dhcp
> > > - ETH_P_IPV6 + cbpf icmpv6 type=NS/NA/RS/RA
> > >
> > > But I don't think that will help - I believe we'll still get
> > > skb_clone() for every outbound ipv4/ipv6 packet.
> > >
> > > I have some ideas for what could be done to avoid the clone (with
> > > existing kernel functionality)... but none of it is pretty...
> > > Anyone have any smart ideas?
> > >
> > > Perhaps a way to move the clone past the af_packet packet_rcv run_filter?
> > > Unfortunately packet_rcv() does a little bit of 'setup' before it
> > > calls the filter - so this may be hard.
> >

> > dev_queue_xmit_nit() also does some 'setup':
> >
> > net_timestamp_set(skb2);  (This one could probably be moved into
> > af_packet, if packet is not dropped ?)
> > <sanitize mac, network, transport headers>
> >

> > > Or an 'extra' early pre-filter hook [prot_hook.prefilter()] that has
> > > very minimal
> > > functionality... like match 2 bytes at an offset into the packet?
> > > Maybe even not a hook at all, just adding a
> > > prot_hook.prefilter{1,2}_u64_{offset,mask,value}
> > > It doesn't have to be perfect, but if it could discard 99% of the
> > > packets we don't care about...
> > > (and leave filtering of the remaining 1% to the existing cbpf program)
> > > that would already be a huge win?
> >
> > Maybe if we can detect a cBPF filter does not access mac, network,
> > transport header,
> > we could run it earlier, before the clone().
> >
> > So we could add
> > prot_hook.filter_can_run_from_dev_queue_xmit_nit_before_the_clone

> [...]

cBPF / eBPF would not really matter for the very small program Maciej gave,
I think both are running the same underlying helpers, and roughly same
JITed code...

 tcpdump -d "arp or (ip and udp port 68) or (icmp6 and ip6[40] >= 133
and ip6[40] <= 136)"

(000) ldh      [12]
(001) jeq      #0x806           jt 21 jf 2
(002) jeq      #0x800           jt 3 jf 12
(003) ldb      [23]
(004) jeq      #0x11            jt 5 jf 22
(005) ldh      [20]
(006) jset     #0x1fff          jt 22 jf 7
(007) ldxb     4*([14]&0xf)
(008) ldh      [x + 14]
(009) jeq      #0x44            jt 21 jf 10
(010) ldh      [x + 16]
(011) jeq      #0x44            jt 21 jf 22
(012) jeq      #0x86dd          jt 13 jf 22
(013) ldb      [20]
(014) jeq      #0x3a            jt 18 jf 15
(015) jeq      #0x2c            jt 16 jf 22
(016) ldb      [54]
(017) jeq      #0x3a            jt 18 jf 22
(018) ldb      [54]
(019) jge      #0x85            jt 20 jf 22
(020) jgt      #0x88            jt 22 jf 21
(021) ret      #262144
(022) ret      #0