Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:19:31 -0500
From: Mario Limonciello <mario.limonciello@....com>
To: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@...ux-m68k.org>, Joe Perches <joe@...ches.com>
Cc: Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>, Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzk@...nel.org>,
 workflows@...r.kernel.org,
Subject: Re: [Enable Designware XGMAC VLAN Stripping Feature 1/2] dt-bindings:
 net: snps,dwmac: Add description for rx-vlan-offload

On 7/25/23 02:33, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2023 at 6:22 AM Joe Perches <joe@...ches.com> wrote:
>> I do suggest you instead write wrapper scripts to get
>> the output you want rather than updating the defaults
>> for the script and update the process documentation
>> to let other people know what do to as well.
>>
>> Something akin to Mario Limonciello's suggestion back in 2022:
>>
>> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20220617183215.25917-1-mario.limonciello@amd.com/
>
> FTR, this is more or less what I am using to generate a script
> to send out patches:
>
>      OUT=...
>      echo git send-email \\ > $OUT
>      # Add -cc
>      # Wrap comment inside $(: ...)
>      # Replace (...) in comment by [...]
>      # Replace ] at EOL by ) again
>      # Add continuation to EOL
>      scripts/get_maintainer.pl $* | \
>      tr -d \" | \
>      sed -e 's/^/--cc "/' \
>          -e 's/ (/" $(: /' \
>          -e 's/ (/ [/' -e 's/)/]/' \
>          -e 's/]$/)/' \
>          -e 's/$/ \\/' | \
>      tee -a $OUT
>      echo "*[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]-*.*" >> $OUT
>
> After generation, I edit the script to
>    - Replace some --cc by --to,
>    - Add/remove some people,
> and run "source $OUT" to send the patches...
>
> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

My script is great for single subsystem patches as it gets all the right
people but I've found problems whenever it crosses multiple subsystems.

Many subsystem owners want to see the whole series of patches to
understand how they interact.  So the group of patches needs to be
treated together which would need the wrapper to look at all patches
instead.