Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 13:45:39 +0200
From: Rafał Miłecki <zajec5@...il.com>
To: Lorenzo Bianconi <lorenzo@...nel.org>, Felix Fietkau <nbd@....name>,
 Matthias Brugger <matthias.bgg@...il.com>,
 AngeloGioacchino Del Regno <angelogioacchino.delregno@...labora.com>,
 Arınç ÜNAL <arinc.unal@...nc9.com>
Cc: Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
 "devicetree@...r.kernel.org" <devicetree@...r.kernel.org>,
 linux-mips@...r.kernel.org,
 linux-arm-kernel <linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>,
 linux-mediatek <linux-mediatek@...ts.infradead.org>
Subject: MediaTek Frame Engine Ethernet: does it need any resets?

Hi,

I'm trying to understand MediaTek's Ethernet controller resets.

I noticed there is sth fishy when checking dts files. See following
errors:

arch/mips/boot/dts/ralink/mt7621-tplink-hc220-g5-v1.dtb: ethernet@...00000: resets: [[2, 6], [2, 23]] is too short
         From schema: Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/mediatek,net.yaml
arch/mips/boot/dts/ralink/mt7621-tplink-hc220-g5-v1.dtb: ethernet@...00000: reset-names:1: 'gmac' was expected
         From schema: Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/mediatek,net.yaml
arch/mips/boot/dts/ralink/mt7621-tplink-hc220-g5-v1.dtb: ethernet@...00000: reset-names: ['fe', 'eth'] is too short
         From schema: Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/mediatek,net.yaml
arch/mips/boot/dts/ralink/mt7621-tplink-hc220-g5-v1.dtb: ethernet@...00000: Unevaluated properties are not allowed ('reset-names', 'resets' were unexpected)
         From schema: Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/mediatek,net.yaml

1. Binding mediatek,net.yaml
It says that when present, there must be 3 resets: fe, gmac, ppe

2. mt7621.dtsi
It specifies 2 resets: fe, eth

3. mt7622.dtsi
It doesn't specify any resets

4. mt7629.dtsi
It doesn't specify any resets

5. drivers/net/ethernet/mediatek/
I don't see any reset_control_* code at all

Can someone help me what's the actual case with resets? Are they needed?
Are they used?