Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 08:33:23 -0700
From: Jesse Brandeburg <jesse.brandeburg@...el.com>
To: Skyler Mäntysaari <sm+lists@...m.fi>
CC: <intel-wired-lan@...ts.osuosl.org>, <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [Intel-wired-lan] The difference between linux kernel driver and
 FreeBSD's with Intel X533

On 10/4/2023 10:08 AM, Skyler Mäntysaari wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> It seems that for reasons unknown to me, my Intel X533 based 10G SFP+
>>> doesn't want to work with kernel 6.1.55 in VyOS 1.4 nor Debian 12 but
>>> it does in OPNsense which is based on FreeBSD 13.2.
>>>
>>> How would I go about debugging this properly? Both sides see light,
>>> but no link unless I'm using FreeBSD.
> https://forum.vyos.io/t/10g-sfp-trouble-with-linking-intel-x553/12253/11?u=samip537

Hi Skyler,

Response from Intel team:

In the ethtool -m output pasted I see TX and RX optical power is fine.
Could you request fault status on both sides? Just want to check if link
is down because we are at local-fault or link partner is at local-fault.

rmmod ixgbe
modprobe ixgbe
ethtool -S eth0 | grep fault

Since it is 10G, if our side TX is ON (power level says it is) then we
should expect link partner RX to be locked so cannot be at Local Fault.

Skyler, please gather that ethtool -S data for us.

Jesse