Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 16:22:49 -0500
From: Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@...atatu.com>
To: Trevor Gross <tmgross@...ch.edu>
Cc: netdev@...r.kernel.org, rust-for-linux@...r.kernel.org,
	Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>, Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
Subject: Re: Suggestions for TC Rust Projects

Hi Trevor,

On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 6:59 PM Trevor Gross <tmgross@...ch.edu> wrote:

> Hi Jamal,
>
> At a meeting you mentioned that TC might have some interest in a
> Rust-written component, I assume probably a scheduler or BPF. Is there
> anything specific you have in mind that would be useful?

I think a good starting point would be tc actions. You can write a
simple hello world action.
Actions will put to test your approach for implementing netlink and
skbs which are widely used in the net stack for both control(by
netlink) and the runtime datapath. If you can jump that hoop it will
open a lot of doors for you into the network stack.
Here's a simple action:
https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v6.8-rc1/source/net/sched/act_simple.c
Actually that one may be hiding a lot of abstractions - but if you
look at it we can discuss what it is hiding.

Note: We have written user space netlink code using rust and it was
fine but the kernel side is more complex.

cheers,
jamal