Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 10:00:17 -0800
From: Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>
To: Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com>
Cc: Wei Wang <weiwan@...gle.com>, Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>, "David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>
Subject: Re: SO_RESERVE_MEM doesn't quite work, at least on UDP

On Fri, Feb 16, 2024 at 12:11 AM Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2024-02-15 at 13:17 -0800, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> > With SO_RESERVE_MEM, I can reserve memory, and it gets credited to
> > sk_forward_alloc.  But, as far as I can tell, nothing keeps it from
> > getting "reclaimed" (i.e. un-credited from sk_forward_alloc and
> > uncharged).  So, for UDP at least, it basically doesn't work.
>
> SO_RESERVE_MEM is basically not implemented (yet) for UDP. Patches are
> welcome - even if I would be curious about the use-case.

I've been chasing UDP packet drops under circumstances where they
really should not be happening.  I *think* something regressed between
6.2 and 6.5 (as I was seeing a lot of drops on a 6.5 machine and not
on a 6.2 machine, and they're both under light load and subscribed to
the same multicast group).  But regardless of whether there's an
actual regression, the logic seems rather ancient and complex.  All I
want is a reasonable size buffer, and I have plenty of memory.  (It's
not 1995 any more -- I have many GB of RAM and I need a few tens of kB
of buffer.)

And, on inspection of the code, so far I've learned, in no particular order:

1. __sk_raise_mem_allocated() is called very frequently (as the
sk_forward_alloc mechanism is not particularly effective at reserving
memory).  And it calls sk_memory_allocated_add(), which looked
suspiciously like a horrible scalability problem until this patch:

commit 3cd3399dd7a84ada85cb839989cdf7310e302c7d