Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 10:36:25 +0100
From: Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
To: "Samudrala, Sridhar" <sridhar.samudrala@...el.com>
Cc: Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
	Tariq Toukan <ttoukan.linux@...il.com>,
	Saeed Mahameed <saeed@...nel.org>,
	Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com>, Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,
	Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@...dia.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	Tariq Toukan <tariqt@...dia.com>, Gal Pressman <gal@...dia.com>,
	Leon Romanovsky <leonro@...dia.com>, jay.vosburgh@...onical.com
Subject: Re: [net-next V3 15/15] Documentation: networking: Add description
 for multi-pf netdev

Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at 02:23:32AM CET, sridhar.samudrala@...el.com wrote:

>On 2/22/2024 5:00 PM, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
>> >
>> > How, logically, can a netdevice be controlled properly from 2 parent
>> > devices on two different busses?  How is that even possible from a
>> > physical point-of-view?  What exact bus types are involved here?
>>
>> Two PCIe buses, two endpoints, two networking ports. It's one piece
>
>Isn't it only 1 networking port with multiple PFs?

AFAIK, yes. I have one device in hands like this. One physical port,
2 PCI slots, 2 PFs on PCI bus.

>> of silicon, tho, so the "slices" can talk to each other internally.
>> The NVRAM configuration tells both endpoints that the user wants
>> them "bonded", when the PCI drivers probe they "find each other"
>> using some cookie or DSN or whatnot. And once they did, they spawn
>> a single netdev.
>>
>> > This "shouldn't" be possible as in the end, it's usually a PCI device
>> > handling this all, right?
>>
>> It's really a special type of bonding of two netdevs. Like you'd bond
>> two ports to get twice the bandwidth. With the twist that the balancing
>> is done on NUMA proximity, rather than traffic hash.
>>
>> Well, plus, the major twist that it's all done magically "for you"
>> in the vendor driver, and the two "lower" devices are not visible.
>> You only see the resulting bond.
>>
>> I personally think that the magic hides as many problems as it
>> introduces and we'd be better off creating two separate netdevs.
>> And then a new type of "device bond" on top. Small win that
>> the "new device bond on top" can be shared code across vendors.
>
>Yes. We have been exploring a small extension to bonding driver to enable a
>single numa-aware multi-threaded application to efficiently utilize multiple
>NICs across numa nodes.

Bonding was my immediate response when we discussed this internally for
the first time. But I had to eventually admit it is probably not that
suitable in this case, here's why:
1) there are no 2 physical ports, only one.
2) it is basically a matter of device layout/provisioning that this
   feature should be enabled, not user configuration.
3) other subsystems like RDMA would benefit the same feature, so this
   int not netdev specific in general.