Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:21:37 +0300
From: Leon Romanovsky <leon@...nel.org>
To: Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>
Cc: Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>, Neal Cardwell <ncardwell@...gle.com>,
	Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ICMP_PARAMETERPROB and ICMP_TIME_EXCEEDED during connect

On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 02:05:17PM +0100, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 12:55 AM Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org> wrote:

> > > Back in November of 2023 Eric did merge a patch to bring the
> > > processing in line with section 4.2.3.9 of [RFC1122]:
> > >
> > > 0a8de364ff7a tcp: no longer abort SYN_SENT when receiving some ICMP
> > >
> > > However, the fixed behavior did not meet some expectations of Vagrant
> > > (see the netdev thread "Bug report connect to VM with Vagrant"), so
> > > for now it got reverted:
> > >
> > > b59db45d7eba tcp: Revert no longer abort SYN_SENT when receiving some ICMP
> > >
> > > I think the hope was to root-cause the Vagrant issue, fix Vagrant's
> > > assumptions, then resubmit Eric's commit. Eric mentioned on Jan 8,
> > > 2024: "We will submit the patch again for 6.9, once we get to the root
> > > cause." But I don't think anyone has had time to do that yet.
> >
> > Ah.
> >
> > Thank you!!
>
> For the record, Leon Romanovsky brought this issue directly to Linus
> Torvalds, stating that I broke things.

Just to make it clear, Linus was involved after we didn't progress for
more than one month after initial starting "Bug report connect to VM with Vagrant",
while approaching to merge window.
https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/MN2PR12MB44863139E562A59329E89DBEB982A@MN2PR12MB4486.namprd12.prod.outlook.com/

Despite long standing netdev patch flow: apply fast -> revert fast, this
patch was treated differently.

> It tooks weeks before Shachar did some debugging, but with no
> conclusion I recall.

Shachar didn't do debugging, she didn't write the bisected patch.
She is verification engineer who was ready to run ANY tests and try
ANY debug patch which you wanted.

> This kind of stuff makes me not very eager to work on this point.

OK, so it is not important at the end.