Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 22:17:16 +0800
From: Jason Xing <kerneljasonxing@...il.com>
To: Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>
Cc: Leon Romanovsky <leon@...nel.org>, Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
	Neal Cardwell <ncardwell@...gle.com>, Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ICMP_PARAMETERPROB and ICMP_TIME_EXCEEDED during connect

On Tue, Apr 2, 2024 at 9:32 PM Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2024 at 3:21 PM Leon Romanovsky <leon@...nel.org> wrote:

> > > For the record, Leon Romanovsky brought this issue directly to Linus
> > > Torvalds, stating that I broke things.
> >
> > Just to make it clear, Linus was involved after we didn't progress for
> > more than one month after initial starting "Bug report connect to VM with Vagrant",
> > while approaching to merge window.
> > https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/MN2PR12MB44863139E562A59329E89DBEB982A@MN2PR12MB4486.namprd12.prod.outlook.com/
> >
> > Despite long standing netdev patch flow: apply fast -> revert fast, this
> > patch was treated differently.
>
> I was waiting input from you. I think you only waited for "revert first"
>

> > > It tooks weeks before Shachar did some debugging, but with no
> > > conclusion I recall.
> >
> > Shachar didn't do debugging, she didn't write the bisected patch.
> > She is verification engineer who was ready to run ANY tests and try
> > ANY debug patch which you wanted.
> >

> > > This kind of stuff makes me not very eager to work on this point.
> > >

> > OK, so it is not important at the end.
>
> I certainly do not want to waste time arguing with you on a valid
> patch, which happens to break some buggy user space.
>
> Apparently some people think RFC are not important.

RFC is important.

Honestly, I read those threads over and over again. Since she provided
some tcpdump logs which do not include ICMP, my question is still the
same as Eric: why does this breakage have a relationship with this
patch??? I get lost. It doesn't make sense really...

If someone is able to more easily reproduce this issue, I'm happy to help debug.

Thanks,
Jason